OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How good (or bad) is this?

Started by nogoodreezen, March 27, 2012, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogoodreezen

I'm new to turkey hunting and I am not really sure what is considered good when it comes to patterning. This is the first gun I have ever set up. This is from a cleaned but not polished barrel. Shooting an 835, 20 " barrel, jellyhead choke, and 3.5" 2.25 ounce, hevi13 7's. I stepped it at 40 but lasered it later at 42. 168 in the 10 " circle. I have since moved my red dot for my poi.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

nogoodreezen

Sorry about the sideways image. Uploaded from my phone. Not sure how to rotate.

Philippe

Swap chokes and polish that barrel, it should be shooting better with that load.

drenalinld

That is very low for that combo. I would suggest shooting on bigger paper. I don't think you are seeing the densest part of your pattern. That will certainly kill a turkey, but I would guess you have higher density off the small sheet of paper.

Jourdan_D

Get rid of the jellyhead, those choke are a joke.  Buy a kicks gobblin thunder .670.  Was shooting 300 with this combo in mine

Jourdan_D

Okay let me restate that.  In the 835 the jellyhead is a joke. :gobble: in a Lexington 870 it shoot a pretty mean pattern :funnyturkey:

rtsj

Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 27, 2012, 09:22:42 PM
Okay let me restate that.  In the 835 the jellyhead is a joke. :gobble: in a Lexington 870 it shoot a pretty mean pattern :funnyturkey:
I agree with the Jellyhead not performing well in the 835!  Where can I get a Lexington 870? :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Roy

Jourdan_D

Ive got one I'll sell you, send money order to......

Stupid autospell

Browning 10

Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 27, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
Get rid of the jellyhead, those choke are a joke.  Buy a kicks gobblin thunder .670.  Was shooting 300 with this combo in mine
I didn't think kicks recommended using their chokes with hevi 13. Not saying people don't do it. Just not recommended.

Borden811

Really? When I had my 835 and a Jellyhead in it, it would shoot 250-260 with the Hevi 13 2.25 oz 6's. I wish I would have had 7's to try in it before I sold it.

Jourdan_D

Quote from: Browning 10 on March 27, 2012, 09:40:17 PM
Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 27, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
I didn't think kicks recommended using their chokes with hevi 13. Not saying people don't do it. Just not recommended.

They don't.....but they say nitro's (using hevi shot at a faster velocity) and Winchester extended range are fine???????

The sucks will be fine with hevi, it 100x beafy'er then the jellyhead.  Hecks its even beafy'we then a puregold

Jourdan_D

Quote from: Borden811 on March 27, 2012, 09:53:45 PM

Really? When I had my 835 and a Jellyhead in it, it would shoot 250-260 with the Hevi 13 2.25 oz 6's. I wish I would have had 7's to try in it before I sold it.

Maybe in your gun but defiantly not in my 835 and by the looks of his pattern lic not in his gun either

TrackeySauresRex

I don't think to many will agree on the J.H comment. Clean and polish like everyone is saying. You should get better numbers and have a good killing pattern.
This pattern is a couple of years old. It is off the mark slightly, not the greatest nor enough paper to redraw the circle (pre/drawn circle  :turkey: target) You can get an idea.

M.B-835 24" barrel / J.H/M.B@40
Not an academy award winning performance, but a dead bird  ;D
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Borden811

Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 28, 2012, 07:24:57 AM
Quote from: Borden811 on March 27, 2012, 09:53:45 PM

Maybe in your gun but defiantly not in my 835 and by the looks of his pattern lic not in his gun either

Yeah, so in your gun it didn't do well. That doesn't mean that choke is a joke. I guess I should say the kicks, and a few other top notch chokes are "jokes" becasue they didn't pattern well in my gun. Match the choke and load to the gun. What works for one may not work for another, or it might work even better. I agree with the others clean/polish and try it again, on a BIG sheet of papaer, to make sure you're seeing the densest part of your pattern. If that doesn't work, then swap chokes.

nogoodreezen

Sorry I haven't replied to my own post for a while. Been busy with work. I am shooting on a big board. Just taped that target on. I'm gonna try polishing the barrel and see if it helps. I also need to clean the choke. Didn't realize they can build up plastic from the wad. That was the fourth shot without cleaning the choke. I'll clean everything up and shoot again. As for the choke being a joke, I don't know. I posted on here looking for advice and the jh was very highly spoke of. May not fit my gun but that doesn't mean it is a joke. If that doesn't work I'm gonna buy a pure gold and give that a try.