Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Benelli SBE II Hevi 13 7's winchester ER 6's and 3 different chokes

Started by Borden811, March 26, 2012, 07:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Ok, here we go. For the last couple of years, I'd been getting awesome numbers from my Benelli SBE II with a 26 inc barrel and a Primos Jellyhead, and the Hevi 13 2.25oz 7's. This year all that changed. I still have some old stock, and a decent amount of the new stuff I just bought, but it didn't pattern as well. That left me searching for a new combo, that would be more consistant. I ordered an Indian Creek, and some Winchester ER shells, and took my other tubes and shells that were already on hand, and headed for the range. The first round of testing my poi was off, so I shofted it for the second round. My old hevi 13 shells in the 7's with my Jellyhead would do 260-300 depending on the lot number, and the 6's would do 220-240. I'm now stuck with the new stuff that is represented in the following pics The pattern pics that follow do all the talking. So, which pattern would you head to the woods with?

My brother also has a SBE II that he just bought, and before he spent money on a turkey choke, I told him to try his Hevi 13 Dead Coyote tube with the hevi 13 Mag Blend shells he already had. I think I saved him a few bucks!

yelpy

I like the patterns out of the Carlson. But they would all kill. What constriction is the Carlson?

tomanyturkeycalls

That carlson choke looks pretty good .... I shoot a sbe2 also and have never tried a carlson choke before

nyhunter

Well I'd scrap the H-13 6's. I like the over all evenness of the I.C and xtended range and the H-13 choke and mag blends. Did you try the H-13 choke and xtend range? The I.C and carelsons and 7's are very good to. I just like like the higher velocity's of the xtended range and mag blends. 

By the way that is almost identical to my xtended range numbers with a 24" SBEII and I.C. 

sbe2#

Mimosa Gobbler

"My cup is always half full because I have already drank the other half!"

Borden811

Quote from: yelpy on March 26, 2012, 07:54:51 PM

I like the patterns out of the Carlson. But they would all kill. What constriction is the Carlson?

I have no idea. It's not printed on the choke, and I can't find it on the Carlsons sight.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Borden811 on March 27, 2012, 02:12:02 PM
Quote from: yelpy on March 26, 2012, 07:54:51 PM

I have no idea. It's not printed on the choke, and I can't find it on the Carlsons sight.

I have one and it is marked as .660.  Throws decent patterns with the ER 6s too.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Borden811

Mighty joe, is one of the new ported ones, or the old style non ported? Mine is the old style, but it would stand to reason that they are the same ED. I think I like the Indian Creek and winchester pattern the best. It doesn't have as many in the 10, but it's pretty even, and the 20 is nice and even .The patterns with the 7's aren't as good in the 20

hunter-b

Nice job. I like the IC & XR#6

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Borden811 on March 27, 2012, 08:56:20 PM
Mighty joe, is one of the new ported ones, or the old style non ported? Mine is the old style, but it would stand to reason that they are the same ED. I think I like the Indian Creek and winchester pattern the best. It doesn't have as many in the 10, but it's pretty even, and the 20 is nice and even .The patterns with the 7's aren't as good in the 20

Mine is the ported model.  I also have a trulock that shoots atraight 6's and 7s pretty well (looks to have very similar geometery and choke taper) but they (neither of them) just don't throw as even a pattern as the PG .670.  I shot Mag Blends out of all three and a JH, a SSX AND a Carlson's non-ported last spring and the PG won hands down.  It put up an avg 240 in the 10" with the best right at 250 and PERFECTLY even all the way to the 20" with 3.5/2.25/6 hevi.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

beagler

For what it's worth I've shot the original Carlson's DC Choke (nonported) and the new Hevishot DC Choke (ported and also manufactured by Carlson's) in both my Mossberg 835 and Benelli SBE 2. I've only shot #4 buck and DC T-shot out of them but the original nonported tube patterned alittle better. I do quite abit of fox/coyote hunting so the larger shot is a must.
Never Misses