Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rem. 1187 26" IC BDS .665 3.5 2.25 Hevi 6's and 3.5 2 oz Win. Ext. 6's

Started by joshua, March 26, 2012, 05:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua

I posted some pics last week of my setup using a Kicks .655. I shot today using my normal setup of IC BDS .665. Usually these shells average around 190 - 200 but with these warm temps I figured the #s would improve. These patterns are the highest #s I've ever got using the 6's. I'm done killing paper, ready to rock some gobbler noggins in less than a week.

1st 242 in 10" @ 40 yds.

2nd 237 in 10" @ 40 yds.

I also shot a couple Win. Ext. Range 3.5 2 oz. 6's. The #s weren't as high as the Hevi (.25 oz less shot) but the overall pattern was probably better.

3rd 166 in 10" @ 40 yds.

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

bird

I would be curious of how the patterns were between 10" & 20".

joshua

Al, I'll count the 20 later this evening but just looking at the patterns all side by side the Ext. 6's are just a great, uniform hunting pattern. The Hevis throw a denser core pattern for me but once you get outside of about 15" the pattern starts to fall off. The Ext. 6's keep it's uniformity the entire 20" pattern. I wouldn't loose one ounce of sleep over hunting with one over the other.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

bird

That's what I found with the Win XRHD's also. They throw one hell of a hunting pattern with higher velocity and no need to worry about checking lot #'s.

joshua

At the distance I'll be shooting birds, I don't think pellet counts are gonna matter much. I'll put the barrel to his ear hole if he will let me, that way I know I want miss. It gives you confidence knowing you can cleanly kill out to 40 if needed tho, and sometimes a little confidence is all it takes to turn a good hunt into a great hunt.

nyhunter

joshua