Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Patterns from 3/23 with MB 835, TSS and Win XR, PG and IC chokes

Started by sugarray, March 24, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Again, patterned with a great new friend.

All patterns, unless noted, are shot at 40 yds.  Mossberg 835 with 20" barrel.  Temp mid 70's.

First shot to get close at 10-15 yds.  I had the site and the base off the gun.  Pretty weird.

These are lining in the Mueller Quick Shot.  IC .710, TSS 2 oz #8

Now, here is a PG .670, TSS 2 oz #8 at 40 yds

Now at 10 yds to compare to my IC .710 at 10 yds

Here is PG .670 and Win XR 3.5", 2 oz #6 at 40 yds
10"=147, 10"-20"=173 > total in 20"=320

sugarray

What do you think of the variation with the IC choke in the same load?

What do you think the of elongated, ovoid pattern of the IC vs the more round pattern of the PG?
Which would you rather hunt with?
    I know I need to shoot a couple of more with the PG to get a better idea of consistency.

What do you think of the Win XR pattern?
    I'd like to get a .675, .680, .685, .690 to try as well.  Not sure how opening it up would work.

bird

For a factory load I really like that PG and Win XRHD for a hunting pattern.

devin4484

I like the pure gold patterns alot better even with the xr.  The tss no.8 look tough to beat

sugarray

Quote from: Spuriosity on March 24, 2012, 02:14:34 PM
That is a good bit of variation with the T8s and IC. More than I like, but sometimes unavoidable. The good news is, the worst pattern is awfully good. I'm wondering what a .720 would look like?

I would love to see more from the PG as you said to check consistency. The PG XRHD is a great hunting pattern, very forgiving with a decent range cushion.

I wonder what that .720 would be like too.  Not enough to get one yet though.   ;D

I'll get some loaded up and see what the PG does with a couple of more through it.

That XRHD is a great hunting pattern. 
Do you think opening up to say .690 JH would improve the pattern or worsen it?

cannonball

duckaholic25

I am getting similiar numbers with a jelly head .690 win xtd #6s out of my 835.

Gadget

Yeah the IC is throwing some inconsistent patterns there. The PG is more round and even but I do think it's too tight for that gun. I think you should try the 696 PG buckshot choke. Has anyone shot that choke with the 835 and TSS?, it should do good in that gun. That's what I would want to try.

Rick