OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

puzzeled

Started by tyelper, March 24, 2012, 11:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyelper

im kinda puzzeled here, i bought a benilli nova about 2 months ago, shot the crap out of it, nothing but about 8'' high on every target, i had a few guys tell me that if it was shooting high to put a bigger bead on it so that i did, i shot the gun about 40 times with no good results, so i thought about trading it off, so i put the original bead back on it and shot it again today,,,,,here is what i got,,,,,

win superx 3x1 7/8x 5
nova 28'',,kicks 665 choke
measured 40 yards,,,,
ps,,,,,,,,the black circle is 8'' wide x 9'' tall

do you think taking the bead off and putting it back on would adjust the poi any,,,,,

Grant Flaming

I guess if the bead was screwed to a slightly different depth than the first time it was put in, it may be possible.

mightyjoeyoung

Um...no.  Must be all in yer head?  How tight is the barrel/mag nut?  If it's sloppy/loose you can definetely have some poi/poa issues.  I like mine TIGHT.  As hand tight as I can get it and then with the gun unloaded of course, put the butt of the gun on the floor and while CAREFULLY putting all your weight straight down ion the barrel, give the nut those few extra clicks.   I then put witness marks on the barrel ring and the nut so that I always return it to the same tension every time.  I never have poi shifts, even after taking my guns apart for thorough cleanings, they go right back to the same point every time. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Btw.  While yes there is a pattern in your op, the question in general would probably be better suited for discussion on the gun forum...

sugarray

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 24, 2012, 01:24:07 PM
Um...no.  Must be all in yer head?  How tight is the barrel/mag nut?  If it's sloppy/loose you can definetely have some poi/poa issues.  I like mine TIGHT.  As hand tight as I can get it and then with the gun unloaded of course, put the butt of the gun on the floor and while CAREFULLY putting all your weight straight down ion the barrel, give the nut those few extra clicks.   I then put witness marks on the barrel ring and the nut so that I always return it to the same tension every time.  I never have poi shifts, even after taking my guns apart for thorough cleanings, they go right back to the same point every time. 

Not sure you understand.  He took the bead off, not the barrel.

I think it would make a difference, likely b/c you put it back in a difference height than it was originally.  Don't know that I would trust it though.  Multiple shots to confirm good consistency.

tyelper

sugarray, i put lock tite on it then screwed it tight, i know when i took it off it was kinda crooked maybe jarred loose in shippment i dont know,,,,,that was why i asked and no the barrel wasnt loose

mightyjoeyoung

I understood what the op meant.  The thing is, there is no way that your pattern is going to go DOWN from removing a TALLER bead and using the original shorter factory bead.  I mentioned the barrel because I have seen lots...and lots of poi vs. poa issues if a barrel has even a little play from the receiver.  You put a taller bead on a gun and take the same hold and it should move the pattern down every single time.  Might not be a lot but it will move it down.  So there is no way that it should be the opposite.  Physics is physics.To the op.  there was absolutely zero negativity in my first reply at all.  What you took out of it was obviously lost in type.  It should be moved to the gun forum because it is a general gun question post, not a patern/load specs post.

sugarray

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 24, 2012, 07:20:22 PM
I understood what the op meant.  The thing is, there is no way that your pattern is going to go DOWN from removing a TALLER bead and using the original shorter factory bead.  I mentioned the barrel because I have seen lots...and lots of poi vs. poa issues if a barrel has even a little play from the receiver.  You put a taller bead on a gun and take the same hold and it should move the pattern down every single time.  Might not be a lot but it will move it down.  So there is no way that it should be the opposite.  Physics is physics.To the op.  there was absolutely zero negativity in my first reply at all.  What you took out of it was obviously lost in type.  It should be moved to the gun forum because it is a general gun question post, not a patern/load specs post.

No worries!  I understand all about changing POI with a loose barrel, have fought it before getting on this site.

tyelper

sorry joe im not the pro here,,,but it was put here because there was a pic with it,,,,,,,,

yelpy

I have had 3 Nova's and everyone of them shot high not 8 inches high though. I believe they are designed to shoot a bit high. A few of my friends have them also and they are all high shooters.

tyelper

well i finally got mine close ,dont know what i done but its good enuff fer me,,,,,

Michigander

Mine shoots dead on if I put what I want to hit on top of the bead, which is what I like to do anyway.