My 20ga Build

Started by Sand Man, March 23, 2012, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

Quote from: rtsj on March 26, 2012, 11:15:11 AM
Sandman. How about a YouTube tutorial?

Roy

Roy,
Are you talking about the build, the paint job, or all the above?

No way to accomplish this now since I didn't take any pics or video, but I guess if I did another one I could try and walk you through it.  In the mean time, here's a link to what inspired me to try it:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36000

Although, I used a little different technique to get my desired results.  I used masking tap to create my turkey tracks once I laid down the base color I wanted the tracks to be.  Cutting those track out of masking tape was a PIA.  Not so sure I want to tackle that again.  Also, I used Reelfoot treebark and grass stencils to get my camo pattern.

Painting really wasn't that difficult.  It's all the prep work that takes the time.

Quote from: BlkJeep on March 26, 2012, 01:05:33 PM
Thanks Sandman. The link is good enough.

Welcome.  Glad I could help.

Quote from: redleg06 on March 26, 2012, 02:30:42 PM
Sandman, my wife (who's 1/3 of your size) would also be interested in having a recoil reducing device put on her 20 Gauge shotgun... 

Wouldn't that make "your wife" 1/3rd your size as well big guy?   ;D

Well go buy her a limbsaver and bolt it on.  I'm sure a strapping young man like yourself can handle two little 'ol philips head screws to remove the old one and replace with the new one...............or is this a ploy for me to do the leg work for you and replace after you con me into painting the gun as well?   :z-dizzy:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

redleg06

Quote from: Sand Man on March 26, 2012, 03:00:48 PM

Wouldn't that make "your wife" 1/3rd your size as well big guy?   ;D

Well go buy her a limbsaver and bolt it on.  I'm sure a strapping young man like yourself can handle two little 'ol philips head screws to remove the old one and replace with the new one...............or is this a ploy for me to do the leg work for you and replace after you con me into painting the gun as well?   :z-dizzy:

No hidden agenda here :toothy9: 

More than anything, I was taking a jab at you for having a recoil reducer on a 20 gauge... :goofball:

Sand Man

Quote from: redleg06 on March 26, 2012, 06:08:18 PM
More than anything, I was taking a jab at you for having a recoil reducer on a 20 gauge... :goofball:

O I C!  Totally missed that.  I'll remember that the next time you want me to sight in your Muller for you.    :toothy9:

Sand Man

I know.  Cell phone pictures suck.  I'll take some better ones after I get the FF II, choke, and butt pad put on.  Hopefully with a Thunder Chicken as a prop.    

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k7VY0B-v7az79LOjlCPWk1WQtTHNX5PWTlLcpL8yjhk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-fSLQvMt640Xxjg-O4EwU1WQtTHNX5PWTlLcpL8yjhk?feat=directlink

No idea why the pics won't host.  Too lazy to transfer them to photobucket.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

killdee

I really like the paint job, looks like you used a splatter paint like came on my HS precision rifle stock. How did you get that look.

Sand Man

Quote from: killdee on April 15, 2012, 07:55:23 AM
I really like the paint job, looks like you used a splatter paint like came on my HS precision rifle stock. How did you get that look.

killdee,
That's webbing.  It comes in a spray can like any other paint.  I was told Home Depot and Lowe's carries webbing, but I had to go to a craft store (Hobby Lobby) to find it.  Very easy to use.  Just practice on card board or something before you apply.  It comes out really thick when you first press the cap on top of the can.  Also, depending on how fast you sweep across the gun depends on how thick the webbing goes on.  I would normally start the spraying into air so the webbing didn't glob on the gun then sweep it across the gun fairly fast.  Again, it depends on how thick or thin you want the webbing as to how fast you sweep across the gun.

Hope that explains it. 

killdee

OK, I will ck out the hobby lobby.

Michigander

Any idea how durable this paint job will be? I'm just curious what it will look like after season.

mightyjoeyoung

Here is my 835 that I did in 3 color relief, sniper-style with krylon ultra flat 3 years ago.  There is some wear at the muzzle and around the mag tube but that is hard to prevent even with a dip job.  My next paint job on it will be with the Brownell's gun coat bake on finishes.  Tough as nails and even provide a degree of lubrication on moving parts.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Sand Man

Quote from: Michigander on April 15, 2012, 07:37:27 PM
Any idea how durable this paint job will be? I'm just curious what it will look like after season.

I've hunted since March and killed 4 birds.  Still looks as good as the day I painted it.  Has held up better than the dip job on the SBE.

Michigander

killdee

I was wondering how dipping held up and paint. The 20 I just bought is od green duracoat on the metal parts. I may just add some webbing and stencil some grass and tracks on mine on the duracoat, it seems to be in place good. Did you clearcoat yours after the paint job?

Sand Man

Quote from: killdee on April 18, 2012, 06:35:45 PM
I was wondering how dipping held up and paint. The 20 I just bought is od green duracoat on the metal parts. I may just add some webbing and stencil some grass and tracks on mine on the duracoat, it seems to be in place good. Did you clearcoat yours after the paint job?

I"d say it depends on how dips your gun and how good of a prep job they do on it.  I have an SBE I bought in '98 that I sent off and had dipped before the whole dipping thing was so popular and everyone in their brother did it.  That gun has been to the end of the earth and back.  It's held up great.  The SBE I built for a turkey gun I had a local guy dip it.  It's held up horribly.  He's going to take care of it, but what a PIA.  I think he missed a step in his prep process personally.

I will say that the paint job on my 20ga seems to hold up well compared to my orginal SBE's dip job.  It's held up MUCH better than my SBE turkey gun.  However, I only have 3/4 of a season on the 20ga.  Still a long ways to go to see if it holds up like the SBE duck gun.

Yes, I clear coated the gun once I was finished with the paint.  I got the mat clear coat, but it's still too shiny for my liking.

killdee

I will try to find some flat clear coat then.