turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bacon Float ~ Devotion 3/21/12

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 21, 2012, 09:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Today we're going to look again at a story within a familiar story.  Most of us have likely heard the story of Jesus healing the demon possessed man.  Like last week, there are numerous directions we could take with the story, but after we read through the story, we'll focus on the issue for today.

Mark 5:1-20

The Message (MSG)

The Madman
1-5 They arrived on the other side of the sea in the country of the Gerasenes. As Jesus got out of the boat, a madman from the cemetery came up to him. He lived there among the tombs and graves. No one could restrain him—he couldn't be chained, couldn't be tied down. He had been tied up many times with chains and ropes, but he broke the chains, snapped the ropes. No one was strong enough to tame him. Night and day he roamed through the graves and the hills, screaming out and slashing himself with sharp stones.
6-8When he saw Jesus a long way off, he ran and bowed in worship before him—then bellowed in protest, "What business do you have, Jesus, Son of the High God, messing with me? I swear to God, don't give me a hard time!" (Jesus had just commanded the tormenting evil spirit, "Out! Get out of the man!")

9-10Jesus asked him, "Tell me your name."

He replied, "My name is Mob. I'm a rioting mob." Then he desperately begged Jesus not to banish them from the country.

11-13A large herd of pigs was browsing and rooting on a nearby hill. The demons begged him, "Send us to the pigs so we can live in them." Jesus gave the order. But it was even worse for the pigs than for the man. Crazed, they stampeded over a cliff into the sea and drowned.

14-15Those tending the pigs, scared to death, bolted and told their story in town and country. Everyone wanted to see what had happened. They came up to Jesus and saw the madman sitting there wearing decent clothes and making sense, no longer a walking madhouse of a man.

16-17Those who had seen it told the others what had happened to the demon-possessed man and the pigs. At first they were in awe—and then they were upset, upset over the drowned pigs. They demanded that Jesus leave and not come back.

18-20As Jesus was getting into the boat, the demon-delivered man begged to go along, but he wouldn't let him. Jesus said, "Go home to your own people. Tell them your story—what the Master did, how he had mercy on you." The man went back and began to preach in the Ten Towns area about what Jesus had done for him. He was the talk of the town.

Here was a man, who, from what we can gather had been demon possessed for years.  He had been bound with ropes, bound with chains, put under guards... to no avail.  He had broken ropes, broken chains and eluded the guards and taken up residence within a cemetery.  We may choose not to envision a man unbathed, unshaven, naked, scarred from cutting himself with sharp rocks, bruised from being thrown to the ground by forces inside him, wild-eyed and just plain vicious.  The locals knew of this man who likely screamed at night, likely cursed loudly and was a sight they chose not to behold.  They had obviously tried to have him subdued throughout the years, but since he was living in the cemetery, away from contact with them, they were satisfied that he no longer was a direct threat or problem for them. 
   No doubt the showdown between Jesus and a "legion" or "mob" of demons was something to witness, for our purpose, we're going to understand that this happened, but focus just beyond that point of the story.  Let's re-read verses 16 and 17:

16-17Those who had seen it told the others what had happened to the demon-possessed man and the pigs. At first they were in awe—and then they were upset, upset over the drowned pigs. They demanded that Jesus leave and not come back.

Let's key in on the sequence in the second verse there. It says "at first" - "and then".  The men tending the pigs saw what happened and were amazed at the transformation of the man they knew to be insane, a freak, possessed... "and then" ... they were upset.

The focus quickly shifted from a man released from years of torment to a loss of food source and income.  We can almost picture the transition from excitement, amazement, rejoicing for this man... to anger, hatred, bitterness towards the other man, Jesus.  Forgive the mental picture, but I envision Frank Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond looking at the healed man with a smile and exclaiming "holy crap!"  Next, looking over the edge of the cliff and seeing the floating bacon... his brow furrows and in anger and disgust exclaims "holy crap!"  (No irreverence intended, sorry, that's just the way my mind works.) 
   Would we be so different?  Would be in awe... or would we be upset?  Are we willing to give up some of our goodies to see someone else be delivered from torment, set free from the chaos in their lives? 

Think about what you have read.  Think about which one of the characters you can most relate to.  Think about if you need to make some adjustments in the value you place on the freedom only Christ can give.  Be assured  you are not alone...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BOFF

Thank you Wendell!!

Wonderful, and insightful, devotional!!

May the Lord continue to Bless and guide you with your writings.

God Bless,
David B. 

Roostem33

Very good devotional Wendell, thanks so much for the Word!!!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Duke0002

dlquinn

NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

pappy

Wendell, this was superbly well put. The idea of two distinct characters surviving in one person is absolutely absurd.... we can't expect to be amazed at the workings of God one day and disgusted with Him the next. And yet, without surprise so many of us do exactly that, maybe it wouldn't hurt to do a little soul searching every day, excellent devotional....pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206