Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

are hens even breeding or are the toms just roll calling every morning

Started by Lon0121, March 20, 2012, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

Here in southern ky i had a question....every morning i sit on the backporch at daybreak to listen to the gobbles....season is not open until the fifteenth of april so im limited to hearing gobbles which is killing me lol....anywase  turkeys are gobbling at dawn and then wen they fly down its dead quiet without a gobble all day...i have seen some strutting but hens seem distant....are their gobbles only instinct without meaning realy yet or are they just not breeding?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

FullChoke

I am hearing reports from folks here in Mississippi that the girls have already been dating for 2-3 weeks. Seems like nature around here is about 3 weeks ahead of her normal spring schedule. The dogwood blooms are already starting to fall off.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TauntoHawk

the boys are ready and loving the weather but I dont think the hens are giving them much attention yet
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dirt road ninja

HOOKS1

I know that for sure their breeding in central Louisiana. I was scouting last week, Tuesday 13th, and watched a gobbler mate with two hens. And, this past Monday in a different  area, about 60 miles apart, I saw another mating take place. This is not unusual to be happening at this time of the year across the south. The earliest I've seen this happen and it was in mid Georgia, was the 2nd of March. I've also seen hens with poults during the first week of April. Saw a hen being bred on the 8th of June and hens with small poults in late July.

Lon0121

I hear more gobbling during the evening hrs later on at the end of march...not just in the am where they only gobble until they hit the forrest floor then shut down....i figure since i cant even put them to bed they must not be real hot
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Bigmiah22

They're not breeding yet. Ive heard gobbles and have seen strutting in the months of october.

devin4484

In hart county, KY birds are breeding.  Seen it saturday morning.  Just like the rut for deer some are ready before others

gunnerj

We were on the scouting run last saturday morning here in north Iowa. We saw 4 different hens in 2 different groups that were mounted. 2 hens by 2 toms at the same time in one group. They were hot!!! We had them in the spotting scope at 1/2 mile. This brings a whole new meaning to peeping tom!  :TooFunny: