OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bumped Birds

Started by Hootowl, March 20, 2012, 04:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

Went to my property yesterday and as I was doing some light scouting, I bumped a few birds, they ran towards the back of the woods, but never left the woods. I sure hope I didnt mess this spot up as we still have a few weeks to go before season starts. I went back to the property today early am and found the same birds, I think, on Roost, and got in this time to watch and listen, I stayed and watch them fly down and waited till the went towards the grassy nole, and I sliped out, they were pretty excited, and pretty vocal, till they hit the ground. I know where they roost in this woods, So as for now Iam staying away, till maybe the night before season. Iam so pumped about season, Just have to wait, and thats whats killing me, Its like Christmas eve, waiting for Christmas Morning. Now Iam looking at another place, so I have back up plan.  :icon_thumright:

bigthunderchicken

trust me you are long forgotten
Chase

guesswho

They will be bumped several times by something between now and opening day.  That's just part of their life, it shouldn't have any negative impact on your hunt.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jake#5

Lenny870

I wouldn't hesitate one minute to hunt there. It'll be fine

Jay Longhauser

Few years ago I set up on a gobbler off the roost.  I was about 60 yards from where he and 2 hens hit the ground.  I had a hen decoy out and for an hour watched him strutt with the hens.  He was in the middle of the field and I was stuck on an edge with little cover.  I moved laterally as far as I could once but still couldn't get him to leave the hens.  I figured I would wait for them to move on or hens to leave and pretty much stopped calling and was just watching them do their thing.  Then I heard calling moving closer and closer from the next property. The guy hunting the other property crossed the fence and creek onto the property I was on that he did not have permission to hunt, and tried to sneak this bird.  I was able to watch the whole thing happen.  He bumped the birds without a shot and the 2 hens ran to the woods, the gobbler ran the other way and around a bend in the woods staying in the same field ( it was shaped like an L ) but out of sight.  I went over to talk to the trespasser and was not happy. As I got closer I saw that he had his daughter and girlfriend with him.  He apologized a bunch and I could tell he knew he shouldn't have done it.  I figured best not to make an uncomfortable experience worse with his daughter there.  We discussed property boundrys politely and he said he would not hunt near the lines again and after 10 minutes we went our seperate ways.  As I walked back out of the field I looked down the edge of the L shaped bend and there was the gobbler he bumped 100 yards away feeding alone.  I sat down and yelped and he ran all the way to me.  I doubt the guy who bumped him was even back on his side of the property line when I killed the bird.  A few weeks out you have nothing to worry about. 

TauntoHawk

last year my buddy killed a tom out of a group of 3 longebeards with hens and jakes. shot him at first light 50yds from the tree where all 3 toms were roosted...

We went back the next morning sat at the same tree and the other two gobblers were both back in the same tree... Killed one 10yds from where his had been standing

both birds had over 1" spurs with 10"+ beards but that was their roost spot... we probably could have gone back and shot the last lone bird if we had wanted too but felt better moving to another location. We have killed birds from that exact spot all 3 years hunting the property
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

open door

Jay that is an amazing story. I figured if a bird was bumped like that he would be gone for a few hours. Apparently they just run off far enough to feel safe, and resume feeding. I might have to log this info in the old feeble brain of mine, lol.

dirt road ninja

I think your fine. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Jay Longhauser

Open door,

Before this I usually assumed bumped birds were in the next county in a hurry, and sometimes they do go a long ways.  I guess its one of those things that reminded me that turkeys are turkeys and while there are general rules to hunting them nothing is true every time if you hunt long enough.  As I walked over to pick up that bird I thought there was no way it was the same one.  But he had one short fan feather just like he did when I watched him strutt the first hour or so of the morning.  My guess is maybe he bumped at the sound of something coming and never really saw the person.  Maybe the hens saw the person and he just ran when they spooked.  In my experience if they can clearly make out that its a person they run harder and farther.  If its just a noise or movement but they aren't sure what it is  they don't spook as bad, Im sure they are bumped more then we guess on a daily basis by all sorts of things.

open door

Quote from: Jay Longhauser on March 21, 2012, 03:49:36 PM
Open door,

Before this I usually assumed bumped birds were in the next county in a hurry, and sometimes they do go a long ways.  I guess its one of those things that reminded me that turkeys are turkeys and while there are general rules to hunting them nothing is true every time if you hunt long enough.  As I walked over to pick up that bird I thought there was no way it was the same one.  But he had one short fan feather just like he did when I watched him strutt the first hour or so of the morning.  My guess is maybe he bumped at the sound of something coming and never really saw the person.  Maybe the hens saw the person and he just ran when they spooked.  In my experience if they can clearly make out that its a person they run harder and farther.  If its just a noise or movement but they aren't sure what it is  they don't spook as bad, Im sure they are bumped more then we guess on a daily basis by all sorts of things.
Sounds very reasonable, Jay. 3 years ago, I set up in a thicket to hide myself, and set the decoy in the open - it was my 2nd set-up of the morning. I called a few times, no response. Then, a gobbler just "showed up" and started walking toward the decoy. I tried to pick an opening to shoot thru, and I tried, and cut a bush in half, lol. The turkey ran back to the woods, but I noticed he was'n't in that big a hurry. I said "oh well, he's gone". I just sat there, and put another shell in my gun. I started to get up, and looked, and he was coming back. Did he ever have his eye on that decoy. That time, I waited for a good opening, and I took him home with me, lol. You would think the souond of a 3.5 inch magnum at close range would scare the living daylights out of anything. My guess is that bird was just lovesick - did him in.

Hootowl

Wow, I feel alot better after hearing from you Turkey Thugs, This will be my 3rd season of Turkey Hunting and I took my 1st Bird last year(Jake), And I got eaten up with the sport, I spent a Ton of money on stuff I felt I needed, You hear alot of people, say you don't need that, But if you needed it Get it. Its your Money. I have work on all my calls this winter and I cant wait to put the Smack down on a Big Tom, I holding out this year and waiting for a Tom , and not the 1st Bird that comes through. Last year I spent about 35 minutes in the woods and it was over.

longbeard95

So a buddy and I went to check out a field where a farmer said he has been seeing toms strutt in the morning. We went in there around 1 and found that there was 4 toms strutting and about 10 hens already in the field. We got to about 100 yards away from them because we were not able to see them due to a hill in the field. They slowly walked out of the field feeding immediately after we crested the hill just enough to get a glimpse of them. We did this twice too them so far this year within a week. Each time they slowly feed out of the field. I havnt gone back to the field yet to get my trail cam. How long till they get fed up with me and leave for good?
Thanks