OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

alright i need help with 2 situations in need help with!

Started by bigthunderchicken, March 19, 2012, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigthunderchicken

situation 1- gobbler flew down with hens. flew down on this hard wood ridge that he would not come off of. gobbled for 3 hours at least. no way to approach this ridge without getting busted. thoughts?
situation 2- midday gobbler would not gobble to yelps only cuts. when they do this how should i call to him?
i just would like some pointers maybe.
Chase

guesswho

Quote from: bigthunderchicken on March 19, 2012, 08:33:22 PM
situation 1- gobbler flew down with hens. flew down on this hard wood ridge that he would not come off of. gobbled for 3 hours at least. no way to approach this ridge without getting busted. thoughts?
situation 2- midday gobbler would not gobble to yelps only cuts. when they do this how should i call to him?
i just would like some pointers maybe.
Situation 1-  If he couldn't come off of the ridge and there's no way to approach him, I might consider busting them up late afternoon and try him the next morning.

Situation 2 -  Early season he probably has company and yelps aren't tripping his trigger.  Chances are he ain't coming to nothing you have to offer anytime soon.  Just for kicks I might try a hen fight, but chances are you will probably just have to keep trying him for several days, you'll eventually catch him at the right time.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

paboxcall

Quote from: guesswho on March 19, 2012, 08:58:37 PM
Situation 1-  If he couldn't come off of the ridge and there's no way to approach him, I might consider busting them up late afternoon and try him the next morning.

If the ridge is completely unapproachable, even in the cover of darkness way early in the morning, then guesswho nailed it.  Bust them at fly up night before and get him off that ridge top, let him sit all night alone, and get in early.
:z-winnersmiley:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mightyjoeyoung

Situation 1.  A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and that tom has the hens so you are in a loosing battle from the start if you are not at/on his level when he flies down.  Try to get up to that ridge and set up on his level in the dark and see what you can do right at flydown.  Call to the hens if need be, but if you aren't where they are and he wants to be well...

Situation 2.  Yes, try some more agressive calling.  you might just fire him up, but again, if you aren't where he wants to be your screwed again.  The best caller in the world can't pull a gobbler to where he doesn't want to go, period.  Your location should be your VERY FIRST CONCERN.  Calling is secondary.  
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

bigthunderchicken

thanks guys will see what happens this weekend i may try busting them up. actually sounds like a good idea!
Chase