turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do You Polish Your Barrel

Started by jtg88, February 23, 2011, 08:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtg88

Do most of you 20 gauge shooters polish your barrels using the JB/Kroil method or just give them a good cleaning?

old frank

I kind of did. :D I got a wild hair one Saturday morning and used what I had one hand.

I did have the right Scotch-Brite but I used an Automotive Polishing compound, Hoppe's and whatever oil I had around.

The barrel looked OK to start with, I thought. It is only a year old and has not been shot much.

I put the barrel in a padded vise, Chucked a cleaning rod in a battery powered drill and went to work. I did it as close to the directions as I could.

I then swabbed it with Hoppe's for the last time, wiped it down with oil and then held it up to the light.

Man, What a difference. It looked like a mirror. All the little marks I thought were machine marks were gone.

I hope to get to shoot it next week.

jakesdad

My 20 is pretty new and has less than 25 rounds thru it,so I just gave it a good deep cleaning.Barrel shines like a mirror.Did the same with both 12's and had the same results.May give the polishing a try this summer.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: georgiaboy83 on February 24, 2011, 09:32:13 AM
Quote from: CamoMan4025 on February 24, 2011, 09:02:42 AM
Polishing will increase your numbers by 20-30 hits @ 40 yards!

Could you elaborat on what you mean by polishing?

:wave: Read VA's post under Turkey guns
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

njdevilsb

I'm going to polish my 870 soon.  I already did my 535.  The barrel on my 535 came out great so I'm going to polish my other 2 guns and my dads before this years shooting commences.  I can compare my 870 20 gauge because I'm using the same setup from last year.  I've got a new choke and shells for my 12, but I'm going to shoot a few of my old setup just for comparison.