OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 Super Mag Ratings

Started by ChiefBubba, March 16, 2012, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGGUS

sippy cup

I had one it constantly jammed biggest piece of junk i ever owend so its gone >:(
beware of longdale legend

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Mine is rotting in it's box.

I had cycling issues, clearing issues, dented brass and then oh yea, the WELD holding the barrel ring to the barrel broke while duck hunting one morning and the barrel became totally disconnected while shooting.

I'll digress.... To hell with 3.5" 1187s. Get a stoeger 3500.

NEWT

Just joined and wanted to express my frustration with my 1187 Super Mag I bought last year.  After about 25 rounds it would not throw the next shell in the chamber and I also noticed nicks in the brass of my shells.  Took it back to Bass Pro and they sent it back to Remington.  Got it back and things seemed to be fixed......until about the 25th round this Spring.  Now it's doing the same exact thing, won't cycle the next round! I also noticed the nicks in the brass again.  I don't know what to do as I'm 2 weeks from opening day.  I've never had problems with 870's or 1100's but this one seems like junk. 

GeorgeJR

I didn't really need a 3.5 as I purchased a 11-87 SM to return a borrowed 870 3" gun.  So far I like my gun very much, but not enough time yet.  Based off of the 1100 which I own a 1975 version and that has been rock solid till a few years ago the first part to break was a 4 dollar breach bolt buffer....  After 35 yrs I guess I can handle that charge.  I'm now getting ready to purchase new springs to restore it to near new condition.  When shooting the 11-87 Sunday I noticed it tosses shells out just as far or farther then my old 1100.  Good 15-20 feet.  8-)  1100 and 11-87 share many of the same parts so I suspect they are both very dependable based on my 1100 experience.  I was able to get one at Dicks Sporting Good for a day after T-Giving sale for $500,  Seems like the previous year the had a similar sale (might have been the 870) but the guns hold their value for a reason.

Good Luck searching for a new semi-auto.

Cutt

Quote from: BIGGUS on March 17, 2012, 03:36:15 PM
It is a sportsman, it's just like this one.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-super-mag-shurshot-turkey.aspx

I have the same exact one, so far no issues with 3in. or 3.5in., although I do not shoot 2 3/4in, or have any need too? And you are right, the barrel has "Not intended for light loads" stamped on it.

Hopefully the newer models like ours will not expierence the issues some are expierencing? Then again, are all legit complaints? when someone joins just to post? it makes me wonder?

Reloader

I have flat slayed a pile of toms with my 1187SM surshot turkey model.  It's been running strong for 3-4 seasons and has seen a pile of hard kicking loads.  I shoot more turkey loads than most turkey hunters just because reloading is a passionate hobby of mine. That 1187SM is included in many of those sessions as it reduces recoil better than any of my turkey guns(including my other autos).  This is my 3rd 1187 and all 3 have been put through the ringer without any issues.

The only problem I had with my 1187SM is that the open sights did not have enough adjustment for several chokes and loads.  Remington told me they would replace it, but I never sent it off because the bbl patterned as well as some of my best patterning pumps.  I just removed the sights, installed a Burris FF and rocked on.  It is pure death on toms and flat spits them out when needed.  I rarely need to shoot twice, but it always throws the next shell in. That worked quite nicely on a double in TX a couple years back.

bluetick58

Mine works great with 3" and 3.5" shells not with 2 3/4

NEWT

I love my 1187 and I love the way it shoots but I can't justify paying that kind of money for a single shot.  I've always had good luck with Remington and was very surprised to have any problems with one of their products but what I'm going through is unacceptable.  This is the second time in a little over a year that this gun has had the same problem after it was supposedly fixed by Remington.  I hope they do the right thing and get it fixed or replaced before season starts in 10 days. 

harleytom

No problems with mine. Cycles shells like a charm. A bit heavy  though as are most semi's.

Gold Spur

I bought my son one of the early model 11-87 SM's that has had jamming problems. It shoots 3" shells fairly decent but 2 3/4 and 3.5 shoot aweful. I tried to trade it in at Macks and they told me that they didn't take 11-87 SM's  because of all the problems they have. Bought my son a Beretta and the 11-87 SM takes up space in one of my gun cabnets.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Frankinthelaurels

It's a fine gun, have many friends that own and use them every year with zero problems...just as good a choice as any other. My only question would be how much would you actually gain for $800 more... actual hits on the vital areas...I would think it really wouldn't be that much from a 2oz load to a 2 and a quarter..seems like a lot of extra cash for 1/4 ounce of pellets and maybe only a few vital hits more out of that 1/4 of shot. You might gain more out of that 3 inch by experimenting with different shot, types of shot and manufacturers of the shells..you'd spend a lot less doctoring up your 3 inch.