turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 Super Mag Ratings

Started by ChiefBubba, March 16, 2012, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBubba

I'm hoping not to start anything with this but am thinking about getting an 11-87 Super mag and was hoping to hear from some of the guy's that have them. I already have the 3" 11-87 and like it a lot. I've heard a few bad things about the 3 1/2" gun so what say you? Chief. 

Cutt

I have a new 11-87 SM with Sur Shot Stock, what are the bad things you have heard?

BIGGUS

Quote from: Cutt on March 16, 2012, 05:02:13 PM
I have a new 11-87 SM with Sur Shot Stock, what are the bad things you have heard?
:agreed: I've got the same gun and have nothing but good things to say about it. I had the barrel ported and it feels like a dove gun compared to my O/U!

Cutt

He said he heard a few bad things about the 3.5"? I have no complaints, but just curious what the few bad, things are? A few to me is 3? can't really elaborate on these issues not knowing what the few bad things are?

BIGGUS

Quote from: Cutt on March 16, 2012, 05:11:16 PM
He said he heard a few bad things about the 3.5"? I have no complaints, but just curious what the few bad, things are? A few to me is 3? can't really elaborate on these issues not knowing what the few bad things are?
He also said he was hoping to here from a few guys that have them. Just trying to oblige.

Cutt

[/quote]
He also said he was hoping to here from a few guys that have them. Just trying to oblige.
[/quote]

I realize that and have no problems with your reply or others? But when someones says a few bad things, I'm just curious as to the "3" bad things he has heard about the 3.5? Having the 3.5" I personally do not have any complaints so far, but aren't you curious too, as what the 3 bad things are?

BIGGUS

Quote from: Cutt on March 16, 2012, 05:27:24 PM

[/quote]

I realize that and have no problems with your reply or others? But when someones says a few bad things, I'm just curious as to the "3" bad things he has heard about the 3.5? Having the 3.5" I personally do not have any complaints so far, but aren't you curious too, as what the 3 bad things are?
[/quote]
I'd be pressed to think of one.  :happy0064:

mike103

My brother and I both have the older model with the standard pistol grip stock not the new sure shot stock.

The original tru glo sights were cheap plastic and the rear sight on both guns broke.

We replased them with Williams sights. All metal and built like a tank.

I don't know if Remington is using the same cheap sights.

Gun shoots great no problems at all.

Shoots 3" and 3 1/2" fine.

2 3/4" target loads not so fine.

Never tried the 2 3/4" heavy game loads.

We shoot mag blends and original Remington hevi shot out of Remington hevi shot choke tubes both #4 and #6.

3" or 3 1/2" both get the job done.

Don't think I would get it ported. Don't shoot it enough to make it pay.

The 3 1/2" has considerable mussel jump.

ChiefBubba

The cycling problems was what I had heard that it wasn't so great at. I'm not putting down anyone with these guns. I'm a die hard Remington fan and was just seeing what people who had them thought. Chief.

jfair

Mine has always worked perfect.  I did replace the sights with a scope so not too sure on that one.  The light loads will not eject but I think you can make an adjustment?

Cutt

Quote from: ChiefBubba on March 16, 2012, 06:10:59 PM
The cycling problems was what I had heard that it wasn't so great at. I'm not putting down anyone with these guns. I'm a die hard Remington fan and was just seeing what people who had them thought. Chief.

Haven't had any issues cylcling 3 or 3.5in. so far? have not shot anything smaller though?

You stated a few bad things? That's only 1, what are the other 2 bad things you heard of, Just curious, as I own one and want to know what to watch for? Thanks

mrlongbeard

I have never had a problem cycling in either of my supermag 11-87 guns, my older sps t turkey model had the plastic tru glo but i replaced them after 12 years. my new sportsman supermag cycles cheap 2 3/4 game loads just fine. if you keep your gun clean it will give you years of dependable service.

mike103

Again we have not experienced any cycling problems.

When I pattern or test I always load two to ensure the gun is working.

My brother had to shoot one turkey twice. He missed with the first one, 3" mag blend, too close, and shot again as he was running away with 3 1/2" #6 hevi.

That did the trick.

Other than that all others were one shot stops.

BIGGUS

I shot several 2.75" low brass shells during initial POA work with my EOtech and never had it fail to cycle. Mine's only about a year old though, perhaps they've made some adjustments. Although it does say "Not for light loads" on the barrel.

mike103

Quote from: BIGGUS on March 16, 2012, 09:13:36 PM
I shot several 2.75" low brass shells during initial POA work with my EOtech and never had it fail to cycle. Mine's only about a year old though, perhaps they've made some adjustments. Although it does say "Not for light loads" on the barrel.

Interesting.

Tried my brothers with standard low brass target loads.

Would not cycle the action.

Shot a round of skeet, all singles, no doubles, fun, boy that extra full choke disintegrates those birds.

Is your gun the newer sportsman model?

Maybe that is the difference we have the older SP models.

I hope I'm not going to wind up with another gun!    ;)