Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which shell/choke combination in a Benelli 20 gauge?

Started by gobblerroller, March 15, 2012, 03:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerroller

I bought some Winchester High Velocity 3" #5's a few weeks back. Shot them through the factory full choke in my Benelli Nova 20 gauge. I got 45 pellets on a 9x16 target. I know the target is small, but that pattern is still horrible. The season starts in 8 days, and I'm hoping to order some different shells and a turkey choke before it starts. I'm trying to decide between Hevi-Shot Hevi-13 3" #7 with 1-1/4 oz. and Federal Mag-Shok Heavyweight 3" #7 Shot with 1-1/2 oz. Which do you prefer? I'm also totally clueless on what choke for my Benelli. Thanks for your opinions!
:toothy9:
Hunt while you can. You don't have forever...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gobblerroller on March 15, 2012, 03:02:07 PM
I bought some Winchester High Velocity 3" #5's a few weeks back. Shot them through the factory full choke in my Benelli Nova 20 gauge. I got 45 pellets on a 9x16 target. I know the target is small, but that pattern is still horrible. The season starts in 8 days, and I'm hoping to order some different shells and a turkey choke before it starts. I'm trying to decide between Hevi-Shot Hevi-13 3" #7 with 1-1/4 oz. and Federal Mag-Shok Heavyweight 3" #7 Shot with 1-1/2 oz. Which do you prefer? I'm also totally clueless on what choke for my Benelli. Thanks for your opinions!
:toothy9:

I'd have to recommend that you try the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke with the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 1.25 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. That's a winning combination for me and for many of my readers in that gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

rcpigg65

I run a pure gold 570 in that same gun and the winchester 5's pattern good enough to 30 yards but i found hevi 6's to pattern better at 40 than the lead load at 30 . I really didnt try any other chokes like you i was pressed for time but the pure gold holds a n ice even pattern and i wont stretch a 20 further than 40 any way.

pdaugherty

Go with the Hevi-13 #7 3in  1 1/4oz, any choke in .570 will work great with the strait 7s

Mainer

I shoot H-13 3" #6's out of a .555 Pure Gold coke & get very good patterns.