turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

made a mistake

Started by Mossberg835, February 23, 2011, 04:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg835

Got my bff2 finally mounted on my gold hunter.  Without thinking i went to adjust the left windage screw without loosening the lock screws.  Will this hurt the internals of the adjustment settings or am I ok?

Skeeterbait

Here is what I would do in that case.  I would put the gun in a gunvice and put the dot on a target.  Loosen the lock screws, then move the windage screw back and forth while watching the dot and see that it moves left and right off the target.  Also feel if there are any tight places or skips in the feel of the threads.  If adjusts smooth and dot moves you should be ok.

BurrisOptics

If you only adjusted the windage then you are most likely ok.  If you adjusted your elevation then you are probably SOL.  To be sure, take your sight off of your mount.  You can leave the mount attached to your gun so that you don't have to re-zero.  Turn the sight upside down.  You will see a small disk that should be partially inserted into a slot in the adjustment bar.  If the disk is still partially inserted into the bar then your sight is fine.  If the bar is broken with the slot fully exposed then you have a damaged sight and will no longer adjust or hold zero. 

Below are 2 examples with the broken sight on the right.  The screwdriver is pointing at the section where the bar has been broken at the slot.  You can see that the sight on the left has the disk still partially inserted into the slot. 

We get these in like this from time to time.  I had to break this one myself for the photos and it takes a lot of effort to get it to break.  If you look at the disk on the broken sight you might be able to see that the metal on the disk was actually starting to shave off.  That gives you an idea of how much it takes to actually get it to break. 

Mossberg835

thanks for info.  after orginal post i got gun back out and loosened the locking screws and everthing was still adjusting. :jackson:  Got her sighted in and ready for march 26! :fud: