News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE2/FF3 mount solution

Started by ghillie, March 15, 2012, 08:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghillie

Greetings All,

So I have this new SBE2 just for turkey hunting and I also have the FF3 for it, however, I ran into some issues with mounting it.  I did a ton of looking on here and calling around for info and this is what I came up with.

The Weaver 93A mount is 5 inches long, not really what I wanted to go with since the site is like an inch and a half long or so...it really didn't look nice and clean with 4 inches of base not being used....scrapped that idea

I then found the Warne Maxima 2 piece base, I am only going to use one of the mounts (rear) for the site.  It already fit the SBE2 with their pre drilled/tapped holes.  Just the look I wanted.  So fortunately for me Brownells is 30 min from my door.  I went and picked it up, I also picked up a steady grip stock to put on her as well.  Gotta LOVE the military and law enforcement discount from Brownells!!!

So I get home and try to put the FF3 on the Warne mount.  Well, the bolt that runs under the picitiny base that came with the FF3 would not fit into the groove on the Warne base.  I looked at the bolt and noticed the two flat sides on it and it still would not fit with correct alignment.  The bolt was just to wide for the slot or the slot was just to small for the bolt.  

My initial thought was that I had the wrong base and there was another one at Brownells that would work, so I jumped in the truck and went back with base/site/gun in hand.   When I get there Brad (I think)comes out and I talk with him about my issue.  He fiddles with it for like 10 min and he also realized the the bolt is to large or the groove is to small.  I assume that the grooves are milled to a tolerance, but is that measure a standard across all sites and bases??  Apparently not a strict tolerance or standard is followed, some are a little wider and some not.  His first thought was to find another pic mount in back and just exchange the bolt for me, unfortunately they didn't have another pic mount in back (backorder)..  He comes back up front after about 15 min of searching and said that he didn't have another to replace it with.  He then looks up at me and says, "I can make it work for ya".  I said , go for it!!  He then disappears into the shop at Brownells and then surfaces about 20 min later.  Low and behold he just did some smith work on the bolt,  he narrowed up the sides and he also took a little off the bottom so it seats really nice on the base.  He hands it over to me and says, that should work for ya!!  I asked him what he need for that work, he just smiled and said nothin....I packed up my stuff and skipped out to the truck...I'm still grinning ear to ear...

here a a few pics before she goes on the gun...

Thank you a TON to Brownells!!!  That place is freaking awesome!!!  And a big thanks to Burris as well, I REALLY love this site....and thanks for your help with this...I know you would have helped me out if I couldn't find a solution...ALL YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!

BurrisOptics

Good to hear!  I figured that was going to be the issue and what Brownells did for you was going to be the next suggestion.  What great customer service from Brownells!   :icon_thumright:

I asked our CS guys about the weaver bases and they said they vary in cross slot width and depth quite a bit.  I don't know if they change their spec every so often or if it's specific to certain mounts but they said that what you ran into isn't uncommon. 

Thanks for sharing this information also.

Stoney Creek

I also ran into the same problem last year mounting a ff2. I ordered a B-square mount and the sight and was really getting it done until starting to mount the sight. Called Burris and the fix was the same as yours. I took my time and filed and polished until the bar fit into the base. Tightened it up, good to go. Shot the old school 11-87 a bunch and got 3 gobblers, love the ff. Great sight.