OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I know you guys are Burris fans but...

Started by Ol'Mossy, March 13, 2012, 08:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol'Mossy

Did anyone ever use a BSA red dot multi-recticle like this one? Any pros or cons? I just bought this in Cabelas it was on sale for $29.99 Regular price was $99.99

chatterbox

I mounted one on a Mossberg 535. Lasted through 5 3" magnums, then it died.

bird

mightyjoeyoung

When stuff at Cabelas makes it into the bargain cave, I look real hard at the reviews.  The possitive reviews I don't even look at.  I want to see what the bad ones were for and how many there were.  That site is cheap for a reason...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

NorthGaHunter

I used that exact same one for about 3 years or more.  I did not like it.  I am not sure how the expensive reflex sites, such as the Doctor, work but here are my thoughts.  I really did like the look of the sight and the choice of different reticles/dots/etc.

What I did not like was the red glare on the front of the lens.  It took me before I could get it mounted becuase I could not find a saddle mount .  Once I got the saddle, I sighted it in real quick one evening before I was going hunting the next morning.  Anyway, the next day I got on a bird around 2:30 and finally got a shot at him.  He went down and I either had to shoot again or I got my foot on him.  The shot was in the body and I could not understand how it could be that bad.  

Later that afternoon, I went to the gun range to check it out.  It was off so I resighted it in.  Once it was sighted in, I tightened the set screws and checked one more time.  It was off again.  I then realized that tightening the set screws was affecting my POI/POA.  After that I basically did the following to sight it in.  

Loosen the set screw, adjust the sight, tighten the set screw and shoot.  If more adjustments were needed (most of the time it did), I would loosen the set screw, adjust, tighten set screw, and shoot again and hope I was closer.  Most of the time when I got pretty close, I would stop because I was afraid I would make it worst.  

I really liked that type of sight but I do not recommend the BSA.  Once they were available, I bought me a Leupold 1x14 (recently posted on another thread).  It has a circle plex and can be illuminated red.  If the batteries go dead, then you can still see the reticle since it's etched in the glass.  Eye relief is not problem and I can shoot skeet with it too so you should be able to pick up on moving targets.  It's suppose to be popular with military and police too.  This will be my third season hunting with it.

pullit

Mine lasted a short time then it would not hold poa. I spent more on shells than I paid for the sight before I figured out what was wrong.
I will not buy cheap optics again. I know all can go bad but I think you get what you pay for.

klevar1

I just ordered one (from Cabelas). Won't put it on my shotty, but still believe its a good buy.  Decent starter for the $. Prob just put it on my daughters 10/22 or maybe one of my pistols.
:-\

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: pullit on March 14, 2012, 09:26:22 AM
Mine lasted a short time then it would not hold poa. I spent more on shells than I paid for the sight before I figured out what was wrong.
I will not buy cheap optics again. I know all can go bad but I think you get what you pay for.

I just learned the hard way, won't hold a POA shoots all over the place, guess i'll have to break down and get a Burris, thanks to all who replied

paladin

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get ready in time. The only thing you won't like about the fastfire is the price. (in my opinion)
"have gun-will travel"

Dirtybird555

A older man I shoot benchrest/gun show with picked up a rifle and was looking at it. The guy selling wanted a extra 150$ for the BSA on it. My freind ask the guy if he knew what BSA stood for? The guy said" No. What?". My friend said " Been Screwed Again!". LoL I have a few but all are on rimfires. I learned the hard way! I had one of their "target" scopes on a .204 and it broke in less than 10 shots. I can't imagine what would happen when you throw in a laser and turkey loads.