OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fiocchi Golden Turkey

Started by mossy835, February 07, 2011, 12:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossy835

Since the history is gone for now has any one used or tested the Fiocchi Golden Turkey 3" 1 3/4 ounce #5 nickle plated yet?

I shot some of their pheasant loads last year and it was the cleanest burning powder I have used and patterned well. Mike

Reloader

Fio really dropped the ball on those loads.  They used a good wad and good shot, but failed to buffer them.  I chronoed some of the 3" 6s at over 1400fps!! They only gave counts in the 90s.  That same load backed down to real world MVs with a good buffer would give other lead loads some competition IMO.

WyoHunter

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 07, 2011, 08:02:52 AM
I don't recall anyone on here getting great patterns with the Fiocchis. They are a decent inexpensive alternative to the higher price/performance shells. I would definitely use 6s instead of 5s if I tried them. You will almost certainly run out of pattern long before you run out of penetration/energy with that shell. You will likely be limited to 40 yds or so, where the 6s have more than ample energy.
Like Spur said keep shots to 40 yards or so and you'll have a dead turkey.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

pullit

They did not shoot good out of any of my guns/chokes.
They did kick like a pissed off mule.

mossy835

Thanks for the responses I do not intend to hunt with them but I did want to pattern them in my gun. Bought the #5 shot as that was in stock. My thought was to use them as sight in loads for my 835. I agree if they are not buffered and are too hot they will fail. For the hunt I will use HM mag blend or HM 13 #6 turkey loads. Just was looking for any info pattern with the Fiocchi shells, looks like I will stay with my regular ammo and shoot these at the pattern board. Thanks Mike

Tranz

Quote from: pullit on February 07, 2011, 01:03:07 PM
They did not shoot good out of any of my guns/chokes.
They did kick like a pissed off mule.

+1

I tried the 3" 2oz in #5 with a XXXFull Comp-N-Choke with very poor results. They DO kick!!