OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

wad stripping chokes?

Started by SinGin, March 12, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

So what is the deal with them? Would a choke that strips the wad away from the shot be better than one that stays with the shot? I have seen choke advertisements that one will claim it strips the wad sooner for a better pattern and an advertisement for one that says it stays with the shot longer. So which would be better? It seems to me that the wad acts as a cup and the longer the shot stays as close together the better. Sam

mightyjoeyoung

Most of the "wad stripping" chokes you'll find don't actually strip the wad from the shot, but more to fact seem to compress the wad and shot, making the shot column shorter, giving you supposedly shorter in flight strings.  I spoke with a patternmaster rep once at my old store and that is exactly what he told me.  They do not strip the wad but compress everything for a denser, shorter pattern.  That can be of SOME help for wing shooting but I honestly don't see it benefiting a turkey hunter.  My TG SSX does have the stright grove rifling, which I would guess compresses the shot charge too, because it sure does throw a mean Mag Blend pattern in my 835!  The Kick's chokes are supposed to strip wads by using the port cuts to facilitate this action, but I honestly didn't find they shot well for me and all three I have tried got sent back.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SinGin

Very good information. Any one else have an opinion?

mcgruff1533

I believe the chokes with internal rings do in effect slow, and effectively strip the wad from the shot column.   

Chokes such as the Indian Creek BDS, Tru Glo SSX and probably a few other have internal rings that are "stepped" so they progressively slow and strip the wad from the shot.    I cannot say if these chokes work by catching the leading edge of the wad and slowing it down, or if it's done by compressing the wad as the steps get progressively tighter.

Truthfully, it's probably a combination of both.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Please pardon my ignorance but is this why Federal Flight control wad shells usually are not as accepted for good patterns???

that the wad interferes with the design of the choke????

:thanks:

stinkpickle

Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on March 13, 2012, 05:51:32 PM
Please pardon my ignorance but is this why Federal Flight control wad shells usually are not as accepted for good patterns???

that the wad interferes with the design of the choke????

:thanks:

It's the other way around.  The design of the (wad stripping) chokes interferes with the flight control wad.  It's not designed to be slowed down.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

ok so they should shoot really well from chokes that do not have any wad stripping....

do others shoot good patterns with the correct type of choke for this type of shot shell?

What chokes would tha be? :thanks:

jfair

Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on March 13, 2012, 07:50:54 PM
ok so they should shoot really well from chokes that do not have any wad stripping....

do others shoot good patterns with the correct type of choke for this type of shot shell?

What chokes would tha be? :thanks:

I get 110-130 pellets in 10" at 40 yards with 3.5 inch 6's.  These numbers are from an 1187 with the wingmaster, hevi shot, or comp-n-choke choke tubes.  The comp-n-choke is a wad stripper, so go figure.  The jellyhead .665 will only give me in the 90 range.   Gotta have the barrel and choke awful clean to get those numbers for me.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

I just got a Comp n Choke on the way with the .670 constriction xxxfull we shall see what numbers I get

SumToy

Shot the FCW today.  I take pic of the wads and post.  The ported choke did more damage to the wad then the choke with steps.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

chatterbox

Quote from: SumToy on March 13, 2012, 09:08:28 PM
Shot the FCW today.  I take pic of the wads and post.  The ported choke did more damage to the wad then the choke with steps.
I have found this as well. When I shot your choke William, the FCW was in perfect shape. No tears or broken petals.