OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

remington 1187 shurshot!!!!!

Started by yukonhunter, February 07, 2011, 12:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukonhunter

Just bought this gun, getting it in tomorrow.  Anybody have this gun or any info on it would be appreciated..   What ammo and chokes do you shoot.  Thanks
www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

Mag10

Quote from: yukonhunter on February 07, 2011, 12:33:32 AM
Just bought this gun, getting it in tomorrow.  Anybody have this gun or any info on it would be appreciated..   What ammo and chokes do you shoot.  Thanks

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-super-mag-shurshot-turkey.aspx

Remington mod. # 83616 .   11-87 SM  Is the one I have and it likes Hevi-13 2.25oz.  3.5"
#7 thru a Jellyhead   .660  or #6 thru .665

:z-winnersmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

EMSDJ2

My 11-87 likes 3 inch Winchester #6 extended range with remington super full choke!!  I can shoot the same combo out of my 870 also.  Hope this helps.

joshua

My 1187 likes the Hevi 3.5 2.25 #6 using a .665 IC BDS.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

yukonhunter

www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

Big Timber

I shoot Nitro 7s with a PG .670 choke and get some really good #s. with this set up, got some Heavy Shot 7s. that I plan to shot this weekend to see how they pattern.
You will like that gun!  :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

First of all, congratulations on your new gun. I've been shooting 11-87s for years and currently own 2 of them. I'd recommend that you pull the major groups and thoroughly clean everything. I'd "deep clean" the barrel to remove the "gunk" that's present even in new from the factory barrels.

My guns shoot great patterns with 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot or #7 if that's legal in your area. There are many chokes out there that will do just fine. Everyone has a favorite and it's largely a matter of what you want to spend. It's really all about the internal geometry of the choke tube.

Whatever you choose, all my best to you this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

EMSDJ2

FANMAN

I have the same gun...I shoot the Hevi-13   3 1/2"   2 1/4oz.  6's with the factory extended choke that came with the gun. It gets me 190 in a 10" at 40yds.

Reloader

The best factory shell I've tried in the 1187SS was the old white h13 3-1.75-6 from a Ventilator 655 or ICBDS. The second best was H13 3-2-6 from an ICBDS for 180-210.  The 3.5-2.25-6s were only in the 160-170 range from a JH665 and ICBDS. I use hevi 7 handloads with the JH660, which also has the same POI and adequate pattern to 40yds with lead Win 3" 1-7/8oz 6s.  The h13 7s will give you the best #s for factory.  I would rec the JH660 as it seems to work well with just about any load in that gun and most find it best with the h13 7s.