Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Average lease size and price? Need advice

Started by Philippe, March 10, 2012, 09:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I'm just curious to see what everyone considers a decent amount of property to lease just for turkey hunting and what the going prices are. I've got guys around here wanting over 500 bucks for 5 acre cuts and they claim they are loaded with turkey. Then again i hear alot of people i call about leases that cannot seem to lease the property because it is too small even though they swear there is alot of birds on the property. Also do you think it is rude if you lease property and try to introduce yourself to people that live adjacent to the property and possibly ask to hunt their land or if it is ok to pursue game onto their land if they do not hunt it?

BP1992

You would have to be a true idiot to pay $500 for only 5 acres.

Philippe

Quote from: BP1992 on March 11, 2012, 12:22:48 AM
You would have to be a true idiot to pay $500 for only 5 acres.

There are alot of people doing it though, around here the top 3 counties for turkey, you could sell someone a spot in your backyard easily.

SWAMPFOX

Around my neck of the woods good turkey land goes for 5=10 dollars an acre for turkey only. This county has the highest density of turkeys in the state though. Respect and good manners would pertain to your last question.

rrhunter

My hunting partner and I leased 1800 acres Lakeside in central Alabama for $300 apiece. Loaded with birds! He shoots and he scores!
COME MARCH 15th.....HEADS WILL ROLL!!!!!!!!

Wingbone

Same thing here in west Tn, $5-10/acre, for any "good" tract over 1000 acres. Seems that when you find those honey holes that = less than 1000 acres, the price per acre skyrockets.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

turkey harvester

I paid $600 for 200 acres in southen Mo, borders conservation land but no road access.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

wkyhunter

Quote from: Wingbone on March 12, 2012, 12:12:27 AM
Same thing here in west Tn, $5-10/acre, for any "good" tract over 1000 acres. Seems that when you find those honey holes that = less than 1000 acres, the price per acre skyrockets.
Wingbone... is this for a turkey only lease or is this year round including deer season?

TNTOM

I lease 500 acres by myself in west TN for $750 (turkey only). 20 minutes from Memphis city limits and loaded with birds.  I realize it's a great deal.  Can't imagine 5 acres for that price. IMO I would join a hunting club where I could have more land with some options.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Philippe

Quote from: albrubacker on March 13, 2012, 07:51:04 PM
That seems super high!   :z-dizzy:

Yeah it is, most guys around here are wanting 50-100 and acre just for turkey season. Mind you, this county is the leading county for turkey every spring, but still c'mon.

MossbergMike

The average price around here from what my friends pay is about 450 to 525. And that's for any where between 1800 and 5000 acre. South east/ central TN.