OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SX3 on the range.....

Started by Reloader, February 20, 2011, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I've tried 3 chokes in my SX3 so far and only one has the POI of the factory bead, the Star Dot .667.  Since I bought the gun for wingshooting, I don;t intend to install sights.  I was glad one of the chokes shot true and hope to smash a head or two with it this spring.

JH670 2-1/8oz hevi 7 handload:

SD 667 2-1/8oz hevi 7 handload:

The good thing about the SD is that it patterns the Win 1-7/8oz lead #6s to the same POI and gives 130s.  The Win load will most likely be the load I run in it as it has everything covered to 45 and gives alittle wiggle room with the no sights approach.

Have a good one,

Reloader

njdevilsb

Those are some awesome looking patterns.

chipper

I used the shims to adjust mt poi on mine reloader, it shot a little high and a little left but -ve got it just about perfect nowm

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Reloader

Chipper, I had to put the straight/downward cast shim in mine.  I couldn't get on the rib w/o dropping the stock.  Fits like a glove now, very sweet shooting shotgun.

Quote from: chipper on February 21, 2011, 06:51:55 AM
I used the shims to adjust mt poi on mine reloader, it shot a little high and a little left but -ve got it just about perfect nowm

pullit

man that will leave a mark.... :newmascot:

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Boomstick

"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

chipper

I put the same shim in mine and added one of the 1/4 inch buttpad spacers and mine fits great also. My old SX2 was a great gun but I had problems with it shooting high and couldn't adjust it out with the sights, It was the Obsession NWTF model but I liked it because I could pull the sights off and goose hunt with it but Winchester replaced it with the cantilevered Turkey Extreme and I just could not get used to coming up off the stock the aim with the red dot so I sold it and bought the Sx3 I have now because it will see use in the goose pit next winter. You got some AWESOME PATTERNS!!!!!!

siyakadog

just for curiousity what would a pattern shot at 60ys look like out of that same gun and choke?  Not saying that shooting that far is what a guy should consider ethical- I don't want that debate started quite yet :TrainWreck1:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Reloader

Quote from: siyakadog on February 21, 2011, 09:59:47 PM
just for curiousity what would a pattern shot at 60ys look like out of that same gun and choke?  Not saying that shooting that far is what a guy should consider ethical- I don't want that debate started quite yet :TrainWreck1:

It will be in the 170+/- count(10") at 60yds depending on conditions.  When using the common 100 in the 10 range limitation, I've found it takes just about 300 to consistently break 100 at 60 with 7s launched at 1200-1250.  The higher go farther obviously. I set my limit at 65 because I know what they will do at that range and the count with the above patterns is way more than enough at that range to place multiple hits to the CNS.  I prefer 25-40yd shots as much as the next guy, but don't subscribe to the "I'll try him another day" camp when they hang up at 50+ and I'm on limited time.

Have a good one,

Reloader 

siyakadog

I prefer 25-40yd shots as much as the next guy, but don't subscribe to the "I'll try him another day" camp when they hang up at 50+ and I'm on limited time.

My thoughts exactly- I love em close but the last day to hunt I'll take em if I KNOW I'll kill him.

Thanks for the info

nyhunter

Hay Reloader, would you please give these shell companies a few tips on how to load shell so there's shoot as good as your's. :you_rock: congrats on another great patterning gun