turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much firepower on hand?

Started by rempumpman, March 09, 2012, 11:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

I love to look at and love to hear about all of the turkey guns here on this forum but was wondering if for some crazy reason that you couldn't buy anymore shells, how long would your supply last? I could hold out for a while but I am wanting more shells than ever before; really can't find a reason but just trying to buy shells at every chance I get; all kinds makes no difference.................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

mightyjoeyoung

I have enough ammo to take a few turkeys a year...for the next hundred and fifty years or so.   :TooFunny:  I did a little inventory last week and suprised even myself with how many turkey loads I have stockpiled.   On the bright side I am more than ready for the zombie apocolypse!   :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Crappiepro

I also have several boxes of turkey loads and still buying them after season goes out. I have an even larger amount of regular shot shells. I like to shoot alot so my inventory goes up and down LOL.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I had a stash of Hevi-13 probably about 14" high or so.   But I gave my buddy a few boxes, and I also gave him a Pure Gold .670 choke for his 835  he bought not too long ago that I talked him in to buying.  I also gave him a Lohman Long Shot .680 to keep as well.  He seen my patterns I showed him last year and he just had to have a 835.   :toothy9:  So I'm just helping him get started on the right foot.  

But I got enough ammo to last me years if I just shot it at turkeys.  But I like shooting and testing some.  

jasperjet

I always seem to want more. But I am trying to wait til after the season for some sales.Its just plain hard waiting ..the word stampede comes to mind this time of year.

Mr16Gauge

More than enough, but not all we want!

Literally just bought a case of  16ga 7 1/2" at Dick's on sale for $6.99 a box.

More to come.

Thanks and good hunting

:OGturkeyhead:

trackerbucky

I have lots n' lots of ammo, but I keep a comparatively thin supply of turkey loads. You really don't have to practice shooting turkeys and really how many do you use in a year? Also the advances in load technology  seem to make them outdated relatively quickly.  Imagine if you'd have really stocked up on lead loads a few years ago.  What would you be doing with them now? 
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

paladin

I would run out in about 40 years or when I am 84.
"have gun-will travel"

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: trackerbucky on March 10, 2012, 12:20:29 PM
I have lots n' lots of ammo, but I keep a comparatively thin supply of turkey loads. You really don't have to practice shooting turkeys and really how many do you use in a year? Also the advances in load technology  seem to make them outdated relatively quickly. Imagine if you'd have really stocked up on lead loads a few years ago.  What would you be doing with them now?

Um...killing turkeys!!  Turkey ammo isn't cell phones or computers.  They don't triple in effectiveness every few years.  Why is it that so many guys think they just have to have the most expensive HTL thunder load?!  FYI, the lead turkey load was as good as it was ever going to get for about 15 years and the took a big leap backwards with the FC wad.  To say you would be stuck with all that lead is a bit closed minded.  Its been killing turkeys with authority for longer than a good majority of the guys in the woods and on sites like these have been old enough to hunt.  I shoot a ton of of HTL shot but I also have and hunt with even more lead.  It works...has for a loooong time...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

stinkpickle

If I stop playing around and shooting paper, I'd probably have enough on hand to last the rest of my life.   :D

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Assuming I shoot 8-12 turkeys a season I have about 5-6 seasons worth of h13 and nitro h13s.

Im currently buying h13 6s and mag blends at an alarming rate given the volatility within the tungsten market. I suspect I'll be good for 10 years or so by the time the season is over.

Philippe

I try to buy 2-4 boxes of items i cannot reload every pay check. I also lurk around all the local gun shops for deals regularly. But if i was just to count turkey ammo only, i only have about 10 boxes for both the 12 and 20 at the moment.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 10, 2012, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: trackerbucky on March 10, 2012, 12:20:29 PM
I have lots n' lots of ammo, but I keep a comparatively thin supply of turkey loads. You really don't have to practice shooting turkeys and really how many do you use in a year? Also the advances in load technology  seem to make them outdated relatively quickly. Imagine if you'd have really stocked up on lead loads a few years ago.  What would you be doing with them now?

Um...killing turkeys!!  Turkey ammo isn't cell phones or computers.  They don't triple in effectiveness every few years.  Why is it that so many guys think they just have to have the most expensive HTL thunder load?!  FYI, the lead turkey load was as good as it was ever going to get for about 15 years and the took a big leap backwards with the FC wad.  To say you would be stuck with all that lead is a bit closed minded.  Its been killing turkeys with authority for longer than a good majority of the guys in the woods and on sites like these have been old enough to hunt.  I shoot a ton of of HTL shot but I also have and hunt with even more lead.  It works...has for a loooong time...
I agree. Lead has made ALOT of advancements since I was a kid (early 70's). I like lead. Sometimes I do wonder though how we ever killed turkeys before the HTL craze! :lol:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

surehuntsalot

well I'm one of the old time lead heads, I do have some HTL shells on hand, I stockplied some lead over the years

12ga lead turkey loads.....450 rds
12ga HTL turkey loads......  80rds
20ga lead turkey loads.....270 rds
20ga HTL turkey loads.......110 rds

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hunter-b

Enough for two life times . Its an addiction .  :z-dizzy: