OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions- PG 670 w/ Lead in a 870

Started by TheSportsman, March 09, 2012, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Hey guys-

I just got permission to hunt a new piece of property right down the road from the house.  Its full of turkeys but this place is thick. Lots of planted pines, cutovers, etc.  Most places are gonna be shots within 35 yards.  My Benelli SBE is setup for fields, open areas, etc. 

Last night I pulled my old 870 , 23" SuperMag, out of the safe... Here my idea on this...  I thought this gun would be great to use on this place.  I screwed in a Pure Gold .670 I had and went for some shells...  I thought to myself, no point in burning these high dollar hevi shot loads, so I grabbed some good ol copper plated lead loads off the shelf.  I grabbed some Win. High Velocity 3.5" 2oz 5s and some Win. Double X Mag 3.5" 2 1/4oz 5s.... 

Do any of you guys have much experience running these lead loads in a PG 670?  I grabbed the reg. lead also because I know Hevi shot has a tendancy to pattern tighter and I figured the 670 with lead would open it up a lil more and give some room for forgiveness.  Comments? Ideas?  I even thought about throwing just the reg. factory full in it, but the .670 would allow for a little better patterning.  I havent shot this gun with any lead, but POA and POI is dead on with the PG and some Hevis i have run thogu it in the past

Philippe

Well i know my 835 with a PG .670 in it loves the Win HV 3.5 2 1/4oz 6's, perfect 30-35 yard gun, Never tried the 5's yet.