OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

FastFire III - Finally

Started by Shellwaster, March 08, 2012, 10:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellwaster

So my inpatients got the best of me and I ordered a FFIII on Monday and it arrived today. I hurries home from work with the excitement of a kid at Christmas. In no time did I have to sight mounted to my gun and adjusted the poa to the bead on the end of my barrel. I could not wait to shoot it so I grabbed one of my turkey killing loads (Nitro H-321 3" 12 gauge) and out the door I went. I set up my target at forty yards, loaded my gun and got settled end with my back against my back door. The 8moa dot illuminated on the lowest setting nearly covered the 2.25" dot I was aiming at as I clicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger.

The sight held up as it is designed and surprisingly I didn't have to adjust the poa very much.

I should note it was 68 degrees, 54% humidity and no breeze. I was hoping for better numbers in the 10 ring but with that even of a pattern I'm satisfied.

This is a great sight by Burris and I believe the lowest illumination setting is going to be my go to setting. The higher two seem to starburst too much for my liking. The 3 moa might be better on the highest settings.

Happy hunting all.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

schief

looks good. can't wait for my FFlll with 3 moa to get here. got one on order.

jasperjet

are there any avaible or do you go straight to backorder

Shellwaster

I ordered mine from Optics Planet and it shipped right away. I had called Midway USA before hand and they were on back order until June. I had heard that ineedmoregear.com had them in stock as well.

best of luck

kruk

I just ordered from optics planet as well. They have free shipping at the moment on it.

Curtis

savduck

Georgia Boy

Shellwaster

Thanks guys. I'm itching for our season to start on the 24th. I've got two personal goals for this season, kill a bird with this gun and kill another with the 870 I inherited.

chatterbox

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 09, 2012, 08:02:27 PM
Thanks guys. I'm itching for our season to start on the 24th. I've got two personal goals for this season, kill a bird with this gun and kill another with the 870 I inherited.
So I take it you were pleased with the 8 MOA dot? I am seriously considering and will probably go with the 8 MOA dot.

Shellwaster

I am pleased with the 8 moa but I have not seen the 3 moa to compare it to. I will say the brightest 2 illumination settings make the dot blurry but the lowest setting the dot is perfect. When I shot it it was about 6:15 my time which is about dusk. I will take my gun out in the full sun today and see what the dot is like in all settings.
The dot on my target is 2.25" in diameter and the 8 moa dot on the lowest setting covered 95% of it at 40 yards. It I were to put one on a rifle I would go with the 3 for pinpoint accuracy but for a shotgun I thing the 8 is ideal.

chatterbox

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 10, 2012, 08:41:31 AM
I am pleased with the 8 moa but I have not seen the 3 moa to compare it to. I will say the brightest 2 illumination settings make the dot blurry but the lowest setting the dot is perfect. When I shot it it was about 6:15 my time which is about dusk. I will take my gun out in the full sun today and see what the dot is like in all settings.
The dot on my target is 2.25" in diameter and the 8 moa dot on the lowest setting covered 95% of it at 40 yards. It I were to put one on a rifle I would go with the 3 for pinpoint accuracy but for a shotgun I thing the 8 is ideal.
Sounds pretty good to me! :icon_thumright:

bird

Great review of the FF3. Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on the sight.

Shellwaster

With the exceptionally beautiful weather we are having I took the opportunity to test the sight in an array of lighting conditions. As I previously posted the lowest setting is wonderful for low light conditions such as dusk and indoor, artificial lighting. This doesn't hold true for full light situations. The auto adjust feature works just as advertised. In full daylight the brightest setting displays no starburst or halo effect as it does indoors/dusk and is perfect and will work in open field settings. So I took my gun into the shade and into the woods, the brightest and second brightest setting are great, again no starburst effect. The lowest illumination setting did not fare so well in full light settings and slightly shaded areas, it wasn't nearly bright enough and sometimes I had to double check to make sure it was still turned on.
I can say with confidence this sight is going to be great for its intended purpose and I will start a day of hunting with it set on the auto setting.

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them or test any component of the sight. So long as the the request would not void the warranty.