turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unusual strut zones?

Started by bowhunter2k9, March 07, 2012, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter2k9

Any obvious strut zones in heavily wooded areas? Im hunting new terrain that consists of thick hardwoods and bottoms and a lot of ridges and I was wondering if there are areas that gobs like to strut in besides open fields? Appreciate it.
Romans 8:38-39

bigthunderchicken

check the ridges where he can see a good bit. if you have any creeks they may be roosted over it. generally he is going to strut where he can see good.
Chase

bushwhacker

I live in southeast missouri and the terrain where I hunt is 90% timber and the gobs like to strut on the ends of points or secondary ridges. Normally they will be just over the break where they can see off in the holler and they are generally out of the wind.

MAKEemQUIVER

I agree with the others on this, and will second that they will strut right along the crest where it breaks over. Also dont forget to find old logging roads, I have found that birds really like to strut in old logging roads.

Something else I will add is that if you havent hunted woods much be careful when moving in towards gobbles. Sometimes just the lay of the knobs can really throw you off to where exactly a bird is. May not happen to you but it has to me a couple of times.

Good luck, I love hunting big hardwoods!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

bushwhacker

Quote from: MAKEemQUIVER on March 07, 2012, 10:06:53 PM

Something else I will add is that if you havent hunted woods much be careful when moving in towards gobbles. Sometimes just the lay of the knobs can really throw you off to where exactly a bird is. May not happen to you but it has to me a couple of times.

Good luck, I love hunting big hardwoods!!
That's a very good point. If you hear one later in the season when the foliage is thick he isn't going to be near as far as you think. When they gobble off into a holler and is gobbling away from you, you may think he's a quarter mile away and you wallk 150 yards and run him off. In the timber and hilly terrain always move slower until you get a good handle on exactly where he is. It helps to know the lay of the land also.

jakebird

In my experience, east/southeast facing points and finger ridges with flat tops are the money. They like to soak up that morning sun and i think they know it makes em shine. The irridescent plumage serves one purpose in nature and thats to impress the ladies, so keep that in mind. Logging roads are definitely on the list too.these are good starting points but remember each bird and each property is different and nothing can top actual footwork, scouting it out and confirming your suspicions. Good luck and congrats on the new hunting spot. My bud and i just gained access to a new piece last yr, 600 acres and we're still learning it, although we were fortunate to hammer two in there the second day we hunted it last yr. Reason for our success was aerial photos (actually google earth satellite) and what we learned from the previous day in regards to turkey movement. A new property is like a brand new adventure. Enjoy the challenge and the experience.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?