turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cutting With Box Calls

Started by Turkey Trot, March 07, 2012, 03:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

I have a clip on adaptor that I bought from Bobby Rison of Yellow Yelpers.  I have not made peace with it and really gotten good at it.  I am not as proficient at using my thumb as I should be.  I can hold the paddle handle stationary loosely between my thumb and forefinger and make decent cuts pushing the body into it.

My best cutting on a box call is with an inexpensive unit I bought from AJ Cassette with a built in, flip up adaptor, about 3 years ago.  The call is purpleheart over a one piece hewn popular body.  It is my favorite cutting call due to ease of use and the fact that it makes a good cut.  I've sold a few of those for him by showing it to friends.  I like a good sounding bargain call for its own properties as much as I like a high end custom calls for the artisan qualities.  This is a link to the Cassette Cutter, he apparently only sells over the phone, at his shop, and on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AJ-Cassette-Signed-Custom-Box-Turkey-Call-with-Bonus-Kee-Kee-Call-/230756440866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ba27db22

I sanded mine a bit and tuned it to better suit me.  But I'd put the Cassette as one of my favorite value calls with the Country Boy pot calls of Louisiana.  The call turkeys.

I don't care for the kee kee whistle pictured, a diaphragm or pot is better, IMO, and has the yelp capacity to go with it.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter