Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli- Are they worth the price? Advice...

Started by TheSportsman, February 22, 2011, 09:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

The way its looking, I may very well have the opportunity to buy a brand new Black Benelli Super Black Eagle II with a 24" barrel for 1150$.  Gun has never been shot before.  Its clean and legit.  I just never thought Id pay that for a turkey gun.  I like 28" for wing shooting and Im covered there, so this gun would be for the big birds only.  Are they really that good? Ive turkey hunted the last 6 years with a 870 so it would be a change for me.  Whats your advice?

savduck

I had one and got rid of it. It didnt pattern any better or worse than any of the others I owned. That inertia will rock ya.

I know where there is a camo SBE2 for around 900 brand new.
Georgia Boy

BigPeck215

in my opinion if you are killing turkeys with your 870 then i would stick with it for $1150 you could buy 4 brand new 870's, IMO i would spend my money on ammo and chokes

since you will use it strictly as a turkey gun i would def say no, if you were going to use it for duck/geese/upland gun then thats a different story

BOFF

I bought both my M2 and my SBE used, a little over half that price. I'd do it again.  It's worth it.

God Bless,
David B.

Hognutz

They can be a little touchy when it comes to getting a great pattern. They will pattern good, but it sometimes takes a little playing around to get the great pattern. As far as the quality of the gun, it is superb. I own a bunch of them and have not had any issues at all. If you have the money, it would be a good move. There is nothing wrong with the 870. They are a great turkey gun, but, it kinda sounds like this is on your bucket list. You won't regret it..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mudhen

What Hog said  :icon_thumright:

I have found the SBE II to be touchy in the 24" bbl model when it comes to patterning, and that version has always been the lowest priced model for whatever reason.  I'm sure the culprit is being so underbored, and many go to the salt shot to get good patterns.

I've owned quite a few Benellis, and have a 26" SBE II that is tossing a nice pattern right now, but my new gun for 2011 is an 870 SM in MOBL.  Feels kind of odd to run the full circle, but the 870 just seems like a good fit for me right now  :)

$1150 is ok, but I've seen them in camo down to $850-$900 like someone else already posted...

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Jourdan_D

Every single penny.  wouldnt trade mine if you offered me the world.....  never used one as a turkey gun yet.  going through that right now, chokes, ammo, etc.  but it has been my go to shotgun for 8 years now and if my favorite gun in my safe by far.... :jackson:

FYI the gun use you as the recoil pad.  a limbsaver pad will be your BFF if you get one.  but of coarse you dont feel the kick in the woods only the range.

hookedspur

Quote from: Jourdan_D on February 22, 2011, 10:03:49 PM
Every single penny.  wouldnt trade mine if you offered me the world.....  never used one as a turkey gun yet.  going through that right now, chokes, ammo, etc.  but it has been my go to shotgun for 8 years now and if my favorite gun in my safe by far.... :jackson:

FYI the gun use you as the recoil pad.  a limbsaver pad will be your BFF if you get one.  but of coarse you dont feel the kick in the woods only the range.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Mailman

Love mine. Recoil doesnt bother me any with 3" shells
One Shot One Kill

joshua

Quote from: BigPeck215 on February 22, 2011, 09:32:59 PM
in my opinion if you are killing turkeys with your 870 then i would stick with it for $1150 you could buy 4 brand new 870's, IMO i would spend my money on ammo and chokes

since you will use it strictly as a turkey gun i would def say no, if you were going to use it for duck/geese/upland gun then thats a different story
:agreed: X2
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

vaturkey

Heres the pattern of my Benelli SBE2. I think they are well worth the price  :newmascot:
Vaturkey

gobblezilla

I'm a firm believer in the SBE2. But as a dedicated turkey gun the 870 is probably a better value. My SBE2 is a do it all and it does it all well with minor adjustments here and there. You won't find a better gun for taking you from season to season. But I can't see spending all that cash for one season when there are much cheaper guns out there that are probably better "turkey guns".

grousec

I own a Legacy that I use at times upland hunting along with an O/U.  I justified paying the price because I hunt from Oct-Feb.  However I could not justify paying that much for a turkey gun (season is short and cheaper guns will do the job).  In fact I would not buy a Benelli again even for upland hunting (no need too).  So if I could shoot the 870 and it patterns well, I would stay with it.  But to each his own.

stick bow

I love my 20ga M2 with comfort stock. It's light, throws up great and holds a great pattarn at 40yds.

spaightlabs

S.W.A.G., but I'd bet 90% of turks are killed with one shot.  No 'need' for a semi auto then.  That said, I shoot a Browning gold I bought used for $450 and souped up a bit and it's a stone cold killer, even though I don't shoot shells that cost $4 a boom.  Inexpensive gun, plain old jellyhead choke, #5 lead and a bunch of dead birds from 5 to 55 yards...

I've got a Benelli M2 I run all season long for ducks and geese that I like an awful lot, still feel more comfortable with a 3.5 inch if I'm shooting 5 lead, just like the pellet count and pattern I get.

You don't NEED to spend $1100 on a turkey gun, but I know that like girls, once a gun gets in your head you'll find a million reasons to chase it even if you know you don't 'need' it..