OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help a beginner pick his next pot call!

Started by DeadEye09, March 07, 2012, 01:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

David Halloran Twisted Sister or Crystal Mistress

chatterbox

Being a beginner, I would gravitate to a slate call for you. Joe Slaton(aka TRKYHNTR) owns motherlode calls makes a very nice slate over corion that is the bees knees! Great call, very easy to do clucks, cuts and purrs on, and she yelps with ease!
Lightsout also makes a great slate call, and shouldn't be overlooked.
Again, the only downside to slate is once wet, you're done. If I know it's going to be a rainy day, I will be in a blind anyway, so it doesn't really concern me too much.
Now, as you get more confident, I would go to glass or crystal over whatever soundboard the call maker suggests.
Good luck with your search, and good luck this spring!

Cut*N*Run

I'll throw my 2 cents in-

It's pretty tough to beat a double-sided aluminum over slate call for versatility. That's a call that will pretty much do everything and will be very easy to play.

When it's all said and done, you'll have a copper call, a nice slate, and a nice glass call and with good reason- each surface definitely gives a different sound.

Ceramic is out there too, but there's no need to run out and grab one when you already have that Yella Hammer. Maybe down the line if you just want something new.

DeadEye09

Thanks a lot guys. So, am I correct in saying that the Yella Hammer isn't really a slate, but actually a ceramic call??

I actually find my Power Crystal easier to play than the Yella Hammer. And the striker of the power crystal sounds better than the yella hammer striker.

Cut*N*Run

You are correct.

As far as strikers, I think that's where custom calls really shine. Any callmaker worth his salt will take the time to match a striker to the call you are buying. There is still some mixing and matching that can make calls sound different or make tough calls easier to play so it isn't a bad idea to accumulate a good collection of strikers. There are woods that you will never find in a production call striker like padauk, zebrawood, kingwood, osage, etc. etc.

Probably the fastest and cheapest way to get a bunch fast is to buy some pegs and tops from Brookside and make your own- just a matter of gluing and finishing. He also has some cheap one piece strikers, but I personally find it distasteful to use something machine made that looks handmade.

woodwzrd

Quote from: redleg06 on March 07, 2012, 05:57:46 PM
I think Aluminum is about as user friendly as slate but is more versatile with the range of sound it can make from soft subtle stuff to extremely loud and everything in between. 

Agreed.

When I started turkey hunting years ago everyone told me to get a slate so I went out and bought a production slate. A few years later I bought a production glass. The slate worked OK and I killed several birds with it. The glass just plain sucked. When I started making calls I fell in love with the first glass over glass call I made. A while later I tried a couple of aluminum over glass calls and today that is my go to call when I am using a pot. When I have someone buying their first custom call I will usually try to encourage them to get an aluminum call with a one piece striker and a carbon striker. If one won't bring em to other will.

Gooserbat

For the money check with Gary at Magnolia Game Calls.  His slate or aluminum signature series are both very easy to use, sound awsome,  and only run around $40
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tha bugman

Hooks Glass call...get the Yellowheart striker while you are at it...you won't regret it I promise!

cahaba

I just got a Lights Out anodized aluminum call in yellowheart. This is a fantastic call and very easy to run.
There are several good call makers here.