turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Putting a bird to roost

Started by Full Flight, March 07, 2012, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Flight

OK only been turkey hunting a few years...I have never gone out in the evening and tried to locate a tom on the roost for the next morning.  I could use any suggestions you have.  Do you use a locator call, or do some soft yelps and purrs? What about timing, 30 minutes before dark, 60 minutes? 

TauntoHawk

Ive had some sucess with locator calls like a crow, or goose call. Owl seems to work better for me in the morning.

I try and never turkey call to a bird unless im ready to kill him.

I've had my best luck getting to a vantage point and glass birds out in fields and watching to see where they enter the woods or fly up for the night.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

redleg06

I've tried locator calls with some success but mostly just turkey calling or sometimes a halfway gobble (wish I could do this better) will work depending on the situation.

Sometimes it works and sometimes not but there are some days when ol tom just decides he needs to let the gals know where he's spending the night so he'll try to talk to them. 

I'm not worried about spooking or educating them with my calling when I'm trying to put them to bed. I've just never personally been given reason to believe that turkey are intellegent enough to arrive at the conclusion that a person is making the turkey sound UNLESS you let him see you while you do it or while you're leaving the area and even then I dont know that he puts two and two together.....  I think he just recognize YOU as danger and the pressure shuts him up a little.