News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using a Gobble call

Started by WyoHunter, March 07, 2012, 02:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

When do you use a gobble call? Locating, challenging a bird.......?   :gobble:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

rawalley

If I have been hunting the same bird for a couple days and have tried everything else.
STAY HOME!

jakebird

If u wanna have some fun and waylay a few toms, move in on a roosted bird, u and a buddy set up on opposite sides of the roost and one of you take a gobble call. When he starts talkin in the morning, call to him with your standard hen calls, but every time he gobbles, have your buddy match him gobble for gobble. This can really get em fired up, and sometimes he'll come in on a run. U never know which way though, u both have to be ready. Aside from that, depending on the timing, which phase u are in, a gobble call can out produce hen calls, early or very late in the season. The social hierarchy always exists, year round. Challenge his manhood and he may come lookin. But ALWAYS use caution and using it on crowded public land would probably be a bad idea. I gobble more than most guys. Thank God, I've never been shot at, but I've caught some knuckle heads Elmer Fudd-in their way up behind me already. Just be safe, but it can be a very effective call.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

huntinhard

I hunted a bird on a dairy farm one afternoon and he was on top of a hill in the neighbors pasture gobbling on his own. He would answer every hen call I made but wouldn't budge. I finally started gobbling back at him every time he gobbled. He started coming right down that hill but just wouldn't cross the fence. Had him at 35 yards just not in the right pasture.

Funny thing was at fly up time, that bird sprinted through the pasture I was in and across a county road all total about 500 yards to get to a roost. It was comical.

NYGobblergetter

I once called a gobbler in using nothing but a gobble call. He would gobble on the roost and I would gobble back at him. I keep doing this once he flew down, he eventually worked his way in to about 10 yards. It was pretty crazy. I have also used it with some success in the late afternoon, I would gobble and then give a few yelps and clucks every 20-30 min. A gobbler eventually snuck in silent around 5:30 andI let him have it

MOStrutter

I use it more for a locator, but have used it on a gobbler or two that I have been working for quite awhile and need to keep their attention.  A couple of years ago, I stopped in a good spot of mine after an unsuccessful morning hunt just to see if any birds were in the immediate area.  Crow call-nothin
Waited and listened
Box call-nothin
Waited and listened
Gobble Call-Gobble
Hide!

I didn't have time to get to good cover before that dang tom came running through the fence and busted me.  When it works, it works awesome.  Something that every turkey hunter should keep in his bag of tricks.

dirt road ninja

Gooserbat

More for a chalenge typ situation but I don't over gobble.  Just let one loose every 20-30 min.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

I will NOT use a gobbler call but I hunt alot of public property.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

RoosterRD

With cautious awareness to who is in the woods... Both situations.

MAKEemQUIVER

What gobble call do you guys like?
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

jakebird

I gobble on a diaphragm. A raspy triple reed works well, so does HS STRUT's "fang" which is my current favorite gobbling call. Keeps my movement to a minimum. It can be tricky to learn, all i can tell u there is PRACTICE if thats what u wanna try. Its a good skill to have.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

SWAMPFOX

i use a gobble call on a bird that i have intimately gotten to know over the course of a season. usually this bird and i have dueled before and i have figured out that he is old and slick natured. this gobbler has a trick for everyone ive thrown at him. once i get get tired of the same old duel and he being the winner, i will set up on him as usual  and offer no hen talk even if hens are actively talking nearby. when i think the time is right i will hit him with 2 series of gobbles and shut down and get my gun up. i have" fooled" a few like this over the years as they came marching in to see who was in their bedroom trying to steal their girls. my favorite and only gobbler call i use is a kenny morgan tube that he showed me how to use years ago. good luck!

swampfox

Mossygoose

BigHooks

This year a Hale Fire by Knight an Hale, I also don't hunt public land..