turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

scouting strategy?

Started by new2turkey, February 06, 2011, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

Thanks guys! I'll make sure to go out probably 2 weeks before season...

Crutch

Don't get stuck on one single peice of property.  Sometimes a little honey hole that no one else is hunting is a gold mine. Especially if you can get to it for quick afternoon hunts. The more you get out, the faster you learn things, and run into situations that will stay with you the rest of your life. 

Everybody should have as many places to hunt as they can get.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

new2turkey

Thanks! Right now I've got 2 new places closer to my area where I've heard there are plenty of big birds.... And then a completely different town there is 3 or so more places....

As for afternoon hunts, in Maine you can't hunt past noon in the spring.

Kylongspur88

Walk, Walk and Walk some more. I've got a pair of Lacross boots that are litterally held together with duct tape, and shoe glue. In my woods turkeys head to any small opening that is around like gas wells, or logging roads. As far as not being able to hunt past 12 just stick with it as hard as you can all morning. Those hens will leave those toms mid morning and the toms will go looking for love. For me 11am has been a very productive time. Just because you cant hunt in the p.m I would stick the gun in the truck and scout in the afternoon/roost a bird for the next morning.

new2turkey

If I could be doing it now I would already :).

There's about 3 feet of snow stopping me though... There is a logging road, and then to the right there is an area where it looks like the trees were thinned out, and then beyond the field there is a river. And a field that goes from the woods to the river which is about 100 yards from the edge to the water... I'm thinking this is where I'm going to scout first... It's a nice secluded field in the middle of the woods. This place could look alot better on the map than when I actually scout it though...

hobbes

QuoteIt's a nice secluded field in the middle of the woods.

That sounds like a spot to concentrate on.

new2turkey

Thanks for the advice hobbs, this is where I'm going first.

gatortrax35

I think I have found the best turkey website around. This thread has helped me so much. This is my first yr turkey hunting. Thanks guys for advice.

new2turkey

Quote from: gatortrax35 on February 15, 2011, 12:20:01 PM
I think I have found the best turkey website around. This thread has helped me so much. This is my first yr turkey hunting. Thanks guys for advice.

x2  :icon_thumright:

jyoung

:agreed: to all the above.  There is some great info here.  The same way you look for places to deer hunt is the same way you scout for turkeys.  I always try to remember my senses when I scout. Hearing, seeing, and touching.  If you hear them and see them, you are in the right spot.  And if there is plenty of sign (scratching, droppings, tracks, etc...) then you are in the right spot. Just put in as much time as you can in doing your homework and it will pay off big dividends.
Jonathan Young

kyhareraiser

alright now,new 2 turkey huntin' here's an idea i use and hav'nt seen it mentioned yet..i the area you are hunting i'm sure there are some old farmers and retired and active mail carriers ,ups,ect and they all just love the idea of helping a upcoming hunter know where the birds are.which way they go,what field they fly down into,and if you are lucky they will even tell you a time ..just askem' and see if they have seen some ,but be sure if someone turns you on to where they are ,go back and thank them and show a pic of your kill if not the bird it's self ..after being that nce to'em you can rest assured they will start watching for you each year from then on .. good luck on your first year of huntin' the ole' gobbler..warning..........once you get one you will get hooked on turkey hunting from then on..it's just that gobble gettin' closer to you that gets ya ..keep us informed and remember,,we like pictures 

new2turkey

Thanks for the advice kyhareraiser!