turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Supernova sumtoy and JH hevi patterns

Started by gersus, March 06, 2012, 01:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gersus

Got a Sumtoy 650 in yesterday so I went out for some more patterning this morning.

Benelli Supernova Steadygrip 24" barrel
deep cleaned prior to today's shoulder pounding, and alcohol ran thru it with a piece of t-shirt for final cleaning
2 swipes of the bore snake in between each shot

First up, Hevi 13, 3 1/2 #7's lot #300524
Sumtoy 650, 40 yards 
195 in the 10

Second photo is hevi 13 3 1/2 #6's. Lot # 300330
Sumtoy 650
136 in the 10

gersus

Jellyhead 660 (SBEII choke)

First pic is Hevi 7's lot 300524

Second pic is Hevi 6's lot # 300330

gersus

Definitely not awesome numbers. Dead birds sure, but a bit disappointing. I'm really surprised the sumtoy didn't out perform the jellyhead.

I'll probably hunt with the 6's and the jellyhead choke because the 20 looks better than with the sumtoy.

SumToy

Something off. That gun should shoot bigger numbers then that with both chokes.  Now some say that lot bad but I can't say because we had them go 277.

Them are 3 inch numbers out of BOTH chokes or any aftermarket choke .  What the weather like how you clean it and so on.   We try different choke but I think need to look at a few things 1st.     
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gersus

I let the barrel soak for a few minutes with Hoppe's #9 in it. Then ran a brush thru it real good. Then I wiped it dry and poured some rubbing alcohol in it, brushed it again, and then ran a piece of t-shirt thru it. It shined like a mirror.

I shot one light load thru the Sumtoy choke before shooting the Hevi. Two swipes of the bore snake thru it before the Hevi's too.

I should be shooting bigger numbers with a filthy barrel.

I used a tape measure to mark the 40 yards. It's 72 degrees here today with some wind. I don't think the wind messed with the numbers too much cause the JH patterns are just like the first time I patterned it.

I considering trading it in on a Mossberg after I was done....

SumToy

Try dry brush then a rag with alcohol on it.    I think it go bigger just got to ck.d what is wrong with set up.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gersus

Thanks for your help, William. I'll try the dry brush and alcohol as you mentioned. Maybe I can get out this weekend and try again. Shooting paper is expensive.

SumToy

I think you get some steel wool on wood rod with a drill and polish/clean barrel.  Then run distill alcohol on a white patch until patch comes out clean. 

Then just fire one shell to see.   I think this will help you.  I know the JH will and has put up better numbers then that.   The choke you have I am send replacements out for some because they want to open patterns up.   Now I can send a diffrent choke but think you need to try the above 1st.

gersus

I'll give it a shot. haha, pun intended.

bgbuck153

Trust william on cleaning the barrel . I used a cleaning rod with a 20 gauge brush and wrapped the    "OOOO" steel wool around the brush and used it in my drill . I put wd40 on the steel wool and put it down the barrel for about a minute then took off that piece of steel wool and put another piece on and did it again . I put alcohol  on a white cotton ball "drenched" it then pushed it down the barrel with the cleaning rod . I repeated this until the cotton balls all came out the same color they went in . Dont do anything else and go to the range and shoot it .
I did this after William told me too and my numbers out of my sb2 with a sumtoy 650 went from 218 to 292 . That's too tight for me so he's sending me a bigger diameter choke . I can't wait to see the results .

WW

gersus

It's supposed to be good weather here on Saturday so I'll work on the barrel as directed and post the results.
Thanks again for the help!

gersus

52 degrees with slight wind. One shot.

Hevi 3 1/2 7's
Sumtoy 650

joffutt1

Quote from: gersus on March 11, 2012, 04:04:38 PM
52 degrees with slight wind. One shot.

Hevi 3 1/2 7's
Sumtoy 650

That's not a big increase for the cleaning you did. Done anymore testing?

gersus

No, I haven't done anymore testing. I don't know what else to do honestly.  It could definitely be better, and it disappoints me that an off the shelf, much cheaper 835 could easily throw bigger numbers. It's definitely good enough to knock a gobbler silly though so I'm just gonna leave it alone and hunt.