Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what is the best and the cheapest turkey load out there?

Started by dr3wrob5, March 06, 2012, 11:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 06, 2012, 02:55:37 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 06, 2012, 02:29:56 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 06, 2012, 01:10:22 PM
Quote from: Extremesolo on March 06, 2012, 12:43:23 PM
...Rogers sporting goods also has some federal pre FC wad loads that may be even better than the winchesters and they are reasonably priced as well.

Indeed!  But they're soon to be extinct.   :(

So how many did you buy?   :TooFunny:

Let's just say I refuse to answer, because the amount I possess might get me labeled a "domestic terrorist".   :D

Hahaha. I sent a pic of about half of my pb turkey ammo to a buddy and he bout had a heart attack.  When I told him it was only about half of it and all I could fit in frame he did.  Then I showed him how much htl I have and he had a stroke.  Lol. Funny thing is...it isn't even close to what some guys have on here and let's just say I have enough to last me for about a slam every year for about 400 years.  Lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Thanks stinkpickle!  I just HAD to log in to Rogers and order 3 more boxes of the Federal 6s after you posted.  I swear its like eating lays potato chips...you can never have just...15 boxes!   :TooFunny:

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 06, 2012, 03:00:18 PM
My vote gose for the Winchester HV #6 either 3" or 3.5"
I agree. It's a shame that Federal discontinued the "Old" Federal Premium loads though. The Win. HV loads are hard to beat.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

stinkpickle

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 06, 2012, 03:45:28 PM
Thanks stinkpickle!  I just HAD to log in to Rogers and order 3 more boxes of the Federal 6s after you posted.  I swear its like eating lays potato chips...you can never have just...15 boxes!   :TooFunny:

Gotsta keep that economy rolling...   ;)

MOStrutter

I have killed many turkeys with Win Double X #5's.  I hated the old Federals.  It just doesn't hit the birds as hard IMO.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: MOStrutter on March 06, 2012, 04:33:52 PM
I have killed many turkeys with Win Double X #5's.  I hated the old Federals.  It just doesn't hit the birds as hard IMO.

A #5 winchester pellet and a #5 federal pellets leaving the barrel at the same velocity are gonna hit just as hard as the other...

Lunchbox

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 06, 2012, 04:17:36 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 06, 2012, 03:45:28 PM

Gotsta keep that economy rolling...   ;)

Well, if you ever feel the need to justify buying more, I'll give you my address and you can send me some!

Lunchbox

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 06, 2012, 04:36:54 PM

A #5 winchester pellet and a #5 federal pellets leaving the barrel at the same velocity are gonna hit just as hard as the other...

HEY! Don't you go bringing physics and logic into this discussion. They have no place here.

coyotetrpr

Federal #5 with the flight control wad. In my opinion the federal loads before the flight control wad were junk.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

msgobblergetter

Quote from: chipper on March 06, 2012, 03:08:01 PM
Don,t overlook winchester xx 2 and 2 1/4 oz. Loads.

I like the double X better myself.  I prefer the heavier payload.

MCase

Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey Ammunition 12 Gauge 3-1/2" 2 oz #6 Copper Plated Shot Box of 10

Killed a few with these over the years.....

Flyrodder

I've had good luck with Remington Nitros #5's . 3" with 1 7/8oz.  lead shot @$9-10.00 a box of 10.
Flyrodder

coyotetrpr

:icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

TrackeySauresRex

I'm not pickin' an argument.. and were all intitled to our opinion's...But,I'd have to say....
Wow  :o  Not too many would say that. Them old Fed's were flat out awesome. I flattened a few birds with them and they patterned great. If they still made them I'd be shootin em.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: coyotetrpr on March 06, 2012, 07:21:07 PM
Federal #5 with the flight control wad. In my opinion the federal loads before the flight control wad were junk.
I don't think many on here would agree with that statement including myself but it seems your experiences with these loads are different.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!