Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what is the best and the cheapest turkey load out there?

Started by dr3wrob5, March 06, 2012, 11:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr3wrob5

just wondering what is the best and the cheapest turkey load out there? I'm not feeling 22 dollars for a box of 5 hevi shot.

tyelper

joey46

For the money  WW HV 1 3/4oz #5s or #6.  A lead load that gets the job done.  When my current supply of Hevi is gone I'm going back to them.  $22 for 5 hevi is now a very good deal.  One mail order company has them listed at $49.95 for FIVE. 

goblr77

TauntoHawk

the Whin. HV #6's are a pretty well rounded lead load
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Extremesolo

As others have mentioned, the win supreme HV lead loads are as goodas you can get for lead loads that are reasonably priced and extremely effective.  Rogers sporting goods also has some federal pre FC wad loads that may be even better than the winchesters and they are reasonably priced as well.

mightyjoeyoung

Yes they are as good as the winnys...better in fact!  Rogers has them for $8.99/ box of the 3.5/2/6s at 1300 fps.    :OGturkeyhead:  I ordered 2 boxes shipped for a few cents less than the Win Supreme 3.5/2/6s at walmart after tax.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Extremesolo on March 06, 2012, 12:43:23 PM
...Rogers sporting goods also has some federal pre FC wad loads that may be even better than the winchesters and they are reasonably priced as well.

Indeed!  But they're soon to be extinct.   :(

Philippe

Win HV Supreme 3 1/2, 2 1/4oz 6's i get'em for 12-15 a box usually, just depends on the store

Reloader

Win Grey Box 1-7/8oz 6s.  $6.96 at Walmart.  I made nearly 50yds with some rigs and that load.  Most rigs will easily make 40 with them and quite a few will make 45.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 06, 2012, 01:10:22 PM
...Rogers sporting goods also has some federal pre FC wad loads that may be even better than the winchesters and they are reasonably priced as well.

So how many did you buy?   :TooFunny:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

stinkpickle

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 06, 2012, 02:29:56 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 06, 2012, 01:10:22 PM

So how many did you buy?   :TooFunny:

Let's just say I refuse to answer, because the amount I possess might get me labeled a "domestic terrorist".   :D

Gooserbat

My vote gose for the Winchester HV #6 either 3" or 3.5"
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chipper

Don,t overlook winchester xx 2 and 2 1/4 oz. Loads.

stinkpickle

As far as loads that shouldn't disappear anytime time soon goes, any of the Winchester offerings (Super X, Double X, or HV) would be a good start.