turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginners Question on Friction Calls

Started by buckfever1613, March 06, 2012, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckfever1613

I am relatively new to turkey calls and I was hoping someone could explain the pros and cons of the different surfaces for frictions calls.  I know there is glass, slate, copper, and aluminum but i dont really know the difference between them. Thanks for any help

totallycluckedup

Everybody is going to be a little different.  For me personally, I like to use a glass call for louder yelps and then a slate for softer purrs and clucks.  You will see that some pot calls will have a large surface glass on one side and then you can flip it over to use the small slate surface on the other side.  I'm far from a pro, but that's been the easiest call for me to use other than a lynch box call

hookhntr

Well im new to call making myself but I have been using the calls for many years. I know that different wood and sound board and many other variables make each surface sound different.  In my experience using different surfaces on pot call I find that glass give a higher pitch to reach out there to help locate birds and has the ability to be played softer for sealing the deal. The copper calls I use tend to be more raspy than the others which I like. Slate imo is a great all around surface but maybe not as loud as the others. My personal favorite is aluminum. It can do it all from loud reach out and find em to close calling and still keep all the roll over on the yelps. But like I said there are many different variables that go into the different surfaces on different calls that will give each surface a different sound. They are all great. It just depends on what mr longbeard want to hear that day. Like I said, I am new to call making as well so that comes from using different calls for a long time, not from much experience making them. Hope this helps a little

redleg06

Well, there's a ton of differences you could talk about but the main points to me would have to be:

Some surfaces are more mellow sounding while some are much higher pitched.

Some are easier to play (more user friendly for the average guy to play).

Some Calls produce more rasp while some are much cleaner sounding.

Just about any of the popular surfaces have been responsible for their share of turkey getting dusted and IMO it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and what sound grabs your attention and strikes your liking. I love the sound of an Aluminum call and If I only had one surface to take to the woods with me, It would be my top choice hands down. The next guy might say the exact same about copper, glass, slate etc... and in the right hands, they will all call in a gobbler.

buckfever1613

Arnt some of the surfaces more resistant to the effects of water?

TauntoHawk

Slate: Slate is a great surface and is one of the more popular surfaces. It is very easy to use and maintains extremely well, simply clean it off with a green scotch brite pad and keep the striker clean and you will be running yelps and clucks in no time. Slate usually is a softer tone and is great for lighter non aggressive calling with good role over and clean yelps and clucks. Slate doesn't take to moisture very well and is virtually useless on a rainy day.

Glass/Crystal is slightly different in composition but close enough to be included here together. Crystal has a higher lead content which makes it a bit softer than traditional glass. Glass/Crystal has a higher pitched front end that can be extremely loud and ear piercing depending how the call is built it finish high and clear or break into extremely edgy rasp. Glass can be tougher to perform maintenance and conditioning on for the newbie caller but is not difficult. I use a stone going only in one direction to get base down and finish it in the field and from time to time with 100 or 110 sand paper.

Aluminum finishes out the top 3 most popular surfaces. Most custom call makers choose to use an anodized aluminum which requires very little maintenance. Personally I find aluminum to be the most versatile surface at being able to go from loud to soft and clear to raspy as well as all-weather performance with the right striker. Anodized aluminum requires no sanding just wipe it with an alcohol pad from time to time which make it a very field friendly surface.

Copper is a little more rare but is popular with many here on the site because it offers a unique sound quality that the other surfaces don't have. It has a metallic edge to the rasp it produces that can work when everything else doesn't. It takes a bit more care being a softer metal and needs a good sanding. It also seems to like less striker pressure than other surfaces and squeaks out if you try and put too much into it.

Ceramic is another surface that can sound awesome and somewhat combines attributes from slate and an anodized aluminum. It can be conditioned with a light sanding stone and maintained with a scotch brite. It produces the realistic cluck and purr of slate while being able to reach a little higher on the front end of a yelp like aluminum.

Most guys like to start by trying one of each main surface type seeing what they like and going from there because the combination of surface, soundboard, and pot material is endless.
Collecting, practicing, making calls is huge part of the fun in the turkey game like a hobby that links into a sport.

As far as a newbie trying to figure out where to start or the one call surface to buy leading into a season. Everyone has their favorite and opinion but I like anodized aluminum.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

archery1

wow..that just about sums it up...good reply tauntohawk
Take a kid hunting

jakebird

I would add that no matter what u decide for a friction call, try several different stikers as each combination will offer a unique sound quality. I typically carry two slates, a glass over slate, and a ceramic pot. But i usually seem to have about a dozen strikers. Throw in my usual arsenal of mouth calls and an old lynch box and i start to realize im a bit OCD with this turkey hunting thing! But im never at a shortage of available sounds....
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

buckfever1613

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 06, 2012, 02:01:07 PM
Slate: Slate is a great surface and is one of the more popular surfaces. It is very easy to use and maintains extremely well, simply clean it off with a green scotch brite pad and keep the striker clean and you will be running yelps and clucks in no time. Slate usually is a softer tone and is great for lighter non aggressive calling with good role over and clean yelps and clucks. Slate doesn't take to moisture very well and is virtually useless on a rainy day.

Glass/Crystal is slightly different in composition but close enough to be included here together. Crystal has a higher lead content which makes it a bit softer than traditional glass. Glass/Crystal has a higher pitched front end that can be extremely loud and ear piercing depending how the call is built it finish high and clear or break into extremely edgy rasp. Glass can be tougher to perform maintenance and conditioning on for the newbie caller but is not difficult. I use a stone going only in one direction to get base down and finish it in the field and from time to time with 100 or 110 sand paper.

Aluminum finishes out the top 3 most popular surfaces. Most custom call makers choose to use an anodized aluminum which requires very little maintenance. Personally I find aluminum to be the most versatile surface at being able to go from loud to soft and clear to raspy as well as all-weather performance with the right striker. Anodized aluminum requires no sanding just wipe it with an alcohol pad from time to time which make it a very field friendly surface.

Copper is a little more rare but is popular with many here on the site because it offers a unique sound quality that the other surfaces don't have. It has a metallic edge to the rasp it produces that can work when everything else doesn't. It takes a bit more care being a softer metal and needs a good sanding. It also seems to like less striker pressure than other surfaces and squeaks out if you try and put too much into it.

Ceramic is another surface that can sound awesome and somewhat combines attributes from slate and an anodized aluminum. It can be conditioned with a light sanding stone and maintained with a scotch brite. It produces the realistic cluck and purr of slate while being able to reach a little higher on the front end of a yelp like aluminum.

Most guys like to start by trying one of each main surface type seeing what they like and going from there because the combination of surface, soundboard, and pot material is endless.
Collecting, practicing, making calls is huge part of the fun in the turkey game like a hobby that links into a sport.

As far as a newbie trying to figure out where to start or the one call surface to buy leading into a season. Everyone has their favorite and opinion but I like anodized aluminum.

Wow, that was more than i ever anticipated to receive. Thanks for the great information

TauntoHawk

Your welcome.. I know that when I was first looking calls I wanted to be informed about the components and make my own decision rather than having every member tell me their favorite call or the last one they used to kill a bird. There are just some many great call makers and a wide range in prices it's hard to tell someone the call that will fit their needs. I would pick a call surface according to the sound and level of maintenance you desire, then choice a price point you feel comfortable with. This will really help narrow it down

Another tip this is whether you buy a call straight from the maker or from a website like Midwest or Macks call the call maker and ask what striker materials pair well with that particular call. Then buy a quality striker or two so make sure you save a little in the budget for those. Its kind of like Buying a car for racing, the best way for it to reach its full potential is by putting the best fuel into it. The striker "fuels" the pot call, I crappy striker can deaden the liveliest call.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

buckfever1613

I have been checking the classifieds and i think i am going to end up buying a call around the $40 range.  I figured the maker of the call would have a good idea as to what striker works well with the call.

Thanks again for your help

TauntoHawk

Yes, most call makers here do a great job pairing a striker to the call, I think Wendell Rye at Lights Out does a fantastic job of sending the perfect striker with each pot.

there are several call makers here that will build an excelent call for that price.

Good Luck