News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 7's

Started by Swamprunner, March 05, 2012, 06:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Brian,

Don't you know the only shot that will go through that can is Win Xtended Range #6 loads.  They are the best!  They hit like a train.   :lol: 

K9Doc

It's funny how so many guys are shocked by the inconsistency in shotshells from lot to lot.  There is a reason, it's called mass production.  It will vary due to subtle differences in powders, primers, wads, and yes the actual shot.  Anyone that is a rifle shooter knows this, and that's why WE reload rifle ammo.  We buy bulk brass, bullets, powder, and primers all from the same lot #s to ensure consitent performance.

P.S.  I recently spoke with Rob Roberts at Gobbler Guns.  He said he has seen changes in the Federal heavyweight, Win. Xtended Range, and Hevi 13. 
So, Lot #s do matter to me.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: K9Doc on March 05, 2012, 10:11:48 PM
It's funny how so many guys are shocked by the inconsistency in shotshells from lot to lot.  There is a reason, it's called mass production.  It will vary due to subtle differences in powders, primers, wads, and yes the actual shot.  Anyone that is a rifle shooter knows this, and that's why WE reload rifle ammo.  We buy bulk brass, bullets, powder, and primers all from the same lot #s to ensure consitent performance.

P.S.  I recently spoke with Rob Roberts at Gobbler Guns.  He said he has seen changes in the Federal heavyweight, Win. Xtended Range, and Hevi 13.  

That is so true.  Having owned a high dollar 22 rimfire benchrest gun when you found a lot # that shot like these, you stacked up on that lot #.  These both you could cover the entire 5 shot group with a Bic ink pen.  

K9Doc

Nice.  That's exactly my point.  I just opened a new box of Win. Extened Range and Federal Heavywt.  I have specific chokes for each gun and each load.  Long story short, the temp. was the same and barrels clean, but numbers were down by 25 to 50 in each load.  Its not just a Hevi 13 problem.  Its just more recognized, because more of us on Old gobbler shoot 'em.

archery1

Take a kid hunting

hunter-b

This is gona be a long one . Maybe 10 pages .  :TooFunny:

surehuntsalot

I quit worrying about the "numbers game" a long time ago,as long as I can get a decent hunting pattern,that's all I need
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Neill_Prater

It all boils down to the fact that everyone should look at patterns, numbers, and shell performance in reverse. Instead of wondering IF they are 100% effective at such-and-such range, you simply confine your shots to a distance which gives 100% reliability with YOUR SHOTGUN. It is really pretty simple, and the way all ethical hunters did it way back when lead was all we had. My first couple of turkey guns were deadly up to 30 yards, marginal at 35, and it would have been a crap shoot at 40. I let birds walk at distances I now would not hesitate to shoot, because I know with 100% certainty that at 40 yards, a bird is dead, if I do my part and shoot the way I should with the HTL loads I now use.

In other words, lot numbers, #7's vs #6's, are only important if you are pushing the envelope. There is nothing wrong with playing with chokes and shells to see their maximum effectiveness, but any prudent hunter is going to back off at least 5 yards from what he considers the distance at which the patterns become marginal, simply because in field conditions, things aren't always going to be like they are on the patterning range. Just too many variables exist: wind, vegetation, movement of the turkey, and, lets not forget shooter error.

MY

Well said Neill_Prater!

jjenkins

only reason i am shooting 6 shot hevi 13 is because i could not find any 7 shot at the time i bought shells

strutstopper

Quote from: K9Doc on March 05, 2012, 10:28:11 PM
Nice.  That's exactly my point.  I just opened a new box of Win. Extened Range and Federal Heavywt.  I have specific chokes for each gun and each load.  Long story short, the temp. was the same and barrels clean, but numbers were down by 25 to 50 in each load.  Its not just a Hevi 13 problem.  Its just more recognized, because more of us on Old gobbler shoot 'em.

That's impossible! Winchester Extended Range never has bad lots of shells, they are always consistent. LOL

K9Doc

I detect some sarcasm by Strutstopper.   ;D
It's frustrating to have to check each new box of ammo before going hunting.  I have to work too hard and travel way too far to miss!!!  Thats's why I too have jumped on the reloading wagon.  Good Luck to all this season.

paboxcall

Quote from: K9Doc on March 05, 2012, 10:11:48 PM
It's funny how so many guys are shocked by the inconsistency in shotshells from lot to lot.  There is a reason, it's called mass production.  It will vary due to subtle differences in powders, primers, wads, and yes the actual shot....P.S.  I recently spoke with Rob Roberts at Gobbler Guns.  He said he has seen changes in the Federal heavyweight, Win. Xtended Range, and Hevi 13. 

Exactly.  15-20 years ago, I found a good box of Winchester red hull Supreme #5 lead that patterned well with my Hastings .660.  Went right back to the store and bought three more boxes of the same lot number.

20+ years ago everybody was shooting #4 and #6 lead through factory modified and full chokes, most never having the first clue about what their gun limitations were (never mind PoA vs. PoI, or down range pattering performance of that lead shell / choke combination at 20 yards and 40 yards). 

Just the other year, I watched one of our old timers load paper hull #4 lead shells into his Browning.  Called a bird in for him and he flat bowled it over at 15 yards.  I don't think he was ever concerned about patterning or lot numbers since the day he bought his special paper hull "turkey loads."

For me, I will take what I know -- 250+ Hevi 7's at 40 yards over the lead equivalent in down range energy every day.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

goblr77

A supposedly "bad" lot of Hevi 7's will still pattern better than any other factory load. It's not like 250 won't kill a bird. Oh wait, I forgot...they will just bounce off. :lol: :deadhorse:

Longshanks

Quote from: goblr77 on March 09, 2012, 09:22:19 AM
A supposedly "bad" lot of Hevi 7's will still pattern better than any other factory load. It's not like 250 won't kill a bird. Oh wait, I forgot...they will just bounce off. :lol: :deadhorse:

Exactly. So called bad lot numbers of Hevi 7's still turn better numbers out of my rigs than other factory loads. Bad shells form other companies normally mean bad results. For the guys who think numbers don't mean anything are virtually saying pattern density means nothing which is ridiculous. I just hunt with the best pattern I'm able to obtain and also the most consistent from shell to shell. For me that just happens to be Hevi 3/2/7's and 3.5/2.25/7's. The effectiveness of Hevi 7's I have proven to myself by putting the "smack down" on a large number of gobblers. To each his own and certain guns pattern other shells better. If hevi 7's will produce on paper they will produce in the field unless the hunter is attempting to shoot too far. Questionable shots=inconsistent results no matter what load you shoot.