turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 7's

Started by Swamprunner, March 05, 2012, 06:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamprunner

This topic has been beaten like my Clemson Tigers in the Orange bowl, but I felt like giving my opinion on the matter.  I am not going to argue that 7's will not get it done at 40+ yards, because frankly, I don't feel like seeing those pics  of the turkey necks anymore. To be honest, I couldn't care less if they do or not, I am not willing to trust my hunt to them.
Now, the way I measure things in life is consistency.  From NFL quarterbacks to zip loc bags to turkey shells, consistency is the best measure.  The fact that there are a ton of topics on this board solely dedicated to finding specific lot numbers, and that a hevi shot pro staffer, himself, admitted to searching for specific lot numbers, is overwhelming proof that these shells are inconsistent.  In a sport where a good season and a bad season can come down to 2-3 specific shells, I want to KNOW what is coming out of my barrell.  Period. 300 pellets in a circle at 40 yards is compelling, but how big and what density are those pellets.  We all know that you can shoot dove loads at 25-30 yards, and I'm sure the 7's are great there.
I am sticking with Nitro mega combos, TSS handloads, and Win XR 6's. I hunt too hard to be unsure about the shot.

Gobble!

jfair

:agreed:

Problem is that too many are into the numbers game.  No matter how small the hole is.  Some of my pellets don't go through the cardboard backing on target but others say they will go through the breast of a bird at 40 yards.  Makes you wonder.

hunter-b

OH NO NOT AGAIN ! Somebody please delete this .  :lol:  :TooFunny:

WiLL B

I ain't shooting them with 7's either. I had rather have 80-100 heavy #5's than 300 heavy #7's myself. I did shoot a couple with the Magnum Blend last year and they worked fine but the jury is still out as far as I am concerned. It takes more of a sample than two to convince me they work well. They look like they have a fair number of 6's and 5's in the pattern too.

bushwhacker

I like consistency and I stick with what works. So I'm not gonna worry about what lot numbers work the best, not gonna spend a weeks wages trying to get 300 pellets in 10 @ 40. Im going to to what I always do, call them close and kill them DEAD, and to do that I'll be using lead. :OGturkeyhead:

twinters

can anyone remember when all we had to shoot was a 2 3/4 shell to kill a turkey with.it may just be me ,but i believe we are starting to worry to much about 40 yards and not enough about really getting a turkey into true shotgun range,I am not putting anything or anyone down for how they hunt or what they hunt with,just saying if we really get down to it a good 30 yard gun is all we need,I my self have gotten to far into this 40 yard dense pattern penetrating him haw.I do agree that a #7 is a little on the edge no matter what there test show

Big Timber

bird

I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Great Post

Al

HookDaddy

Swamprunner I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Michigander

You know, as I think back on some of the birds I've killed, seems like half the time things didn't even begin to get interesting until they were inside of 40. I would have missed out on some of my most exciting, memorable hunts if I would have pulled the trigger at 50. Its a whole nother level of excitement when you shoot ones head O-F-F off!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well again use what you like.  The rest of us that use them will keep on shooting them because we choose to just like you choose to shoot what you like.  No sense in beating a drum over the Hevi-13 #7's.  They work just as good as the 6's in my opinion and maybe even better.  But I'm not going to try and tell you to switch. 

stinkpickle

Quote from: jfair on March 05, 2012, 06:36:29 PM
:agreed:

Problem is that too many are into the numbers game.  No matter how small the hole is.  Some of my pellets don't go through the cardboard backing on target but others say they will go through the breast of a bird at 40 yards.  Makes you wonder.

Indeed!  I gotta find some better cardboard.    :TooFunny:

GOLD HUNTER

find some better cardboard  :TooFunny: .......try shoot-um in a soup can!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohu8cdXFR-k

K9Doc

Well then.  I guess i better put the guts and feathers back on the last 20 I killed with the Hevi 13 Pixie Dust!
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.