OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who doesn't love a poll?

Started by bowhunter2k9, March 05, 2012, 12:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Before answering immediately because you shoot one of the options, read my message) Whatcha shoot and why?

Winchester XR #5's
Winchester XR #6's
Hevi13 #6's
Hevi13 #5's
Hevi13 #7's
Handloads
LEAD!!!
any #4's

bird

That just means there are more Koolaid drinkers presently and the flavor of the month happens to be H13 #7.  Once more people get a bad taste in their mouth those numbers will change just like anything else in life.   :funnyturkey: :icon_thumright:

longspur

I voted lead because thats what I've always shot them with and never had any problems. I jumped on the H7 train last year and rode it till a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm back to turkey hunting. Could have bought a lot of other turkey stuff with the $ I spent.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Maybe I ought to have them send me sugar instead of money for my rebate so I can mix it with my Kool-Aid.   :toothy9:

ILIKEHEVI-13

But to be honest, the only shellls I have bought so far this year has been the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6's.  And I probably will end up shooting them this year since they pattern very well.  But in all honesty either 6's or 7's will work probably about the same.  The 6's will give better penetration, and the 7's will give quite a few more hits to make up for what some say they lack in penetration.  I still say they have what it takes to kill easily at 45yds and even a tad farther if need be.  So the point is really moot. 

MossbergMike

I went with win x 6 because till I try something else that is giving me a good pattern at 40 yards.

DC101

Hevi 7s pattern the best for me by far and have been the death of quite a few Toms.

Philippe

I voted for lead, i tried all the popular big named HTL loads in my main gun and i guess they just don't like my gun or chokes. However, i do shoot Fed heavy weights out of my 20ga.

jjenkins

hevi-13 #6  2 1/4 oz  3 1/2 inch

surehuntsalot

the bird is going to be close for me to shoot,so lead will work just fine
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Longshanks

Quote from: bird on March 06, 2012, 01:52:48 PM
That just means there are more Koolaid drinkers presently and the flavor of the month happens to be H13 #7.  Once more people get a bad taste in their mouth those numbers will change just like anything else in life.  :funnyturkey: :icon_thumright:

Been shooting 7's for the last 3-4 years and im waiting to see what they will come out with in factory ammunition that will rival it but so far..nothing will touch the patterns of the Hevi 7's in 3 or 3.5 out of any of my rigs. The Hevi 6 patterns are effective as well but when i can put 100 more shot in a 10 @ 40 its kinda hard to leave the Hevi 7's at the house. :boon:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on March 08, 2012, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: bird on March 06, 2012, 01:52:48 PM
That just means there are more Koolaid drinkers presently and the flavor of the month happens to be H13 #7.  Once more people get a bad taste in their mouth those numbers will change just like anything else in life.  :funnyturkey: :icon_thumright:

Been shooting 7's for the last 3-4 years and im waiting to see what they will come out with in factory ammunition that will rival it but so far nothing will touch the patterns of the Hevi 7's in 3 or 3.5 out of any of my rigs.

Same for me.  What cracks me up is when folks say they won't kill.  And then you have the guy that says don't show pictures of what they will do at farther distances on a live turkey.  Now isn't the real thing what most people would want to see instead of paper?  Heck that's the most objective target there is in my mind.  Then when you show them the proof you get accused of either lying or that you have had too much Kool-Aid and don't know what your saying.  I just don't get some of these people.  7's are the real McCoy.  And this poll proves it.  I think some folks when they talk bad about a great shooting load need to analyze what they are really saying.  Anyone in my honest opinion that shoots a bird with Hevi-13 #7's at 40yds out of a good shooting choke and gun combo and doesn't kill it cleanly probably more than likely pulled their shot.  Now the truth hurts but sometimes we have to swallow our pride.  

I know I would hate to be the turkey standing in front of a load of #7's coming out of either of my guns at 40yds or 50yds for that matter.  And that's not promoting 50yd shots either.  Just saying I wouldn't want to be the turkey to try and survive the pattern.  

Gooserbat

This year I'm shooting Magblends or Hevi 6 but I've killed more birds with Win HV 6 lead than everything else combined. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

goblr77

zach06

I voted hevi13 #7s because they are the only.shell I have shot that give comparable numbers to nitros. There was only about 10 pellets different in them and nitro straight 7s.