North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who doesn't love a poll?

Started by bowhunter2k9, March 05, 2012, 12:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Before answering immediately because you shoot one of the options, read my message) Whatcha shoot and why?

Winchester XR #5's
Winchester XR #6's
Hevi13 #6's
Hevi13 #5's
Hevi13 #7's
Handloads
LEAD!!!
any #4's

Crappiepro

I went with lead because its all I have shot so far. I shoot the Winchester High Velosity 3" #5 for the last 4 yrs with great results in my Moss 535 ATS Tactical Turkey 12ga. with a Kicks GT .665.
I shoot the Winchesters in #6 3.5" out of my Moss 835 with a Jellyhead .690 also with great results.
I have tried several different brands of lead shot and size's. I'm still on the fence about the Hevi shot stuff so I guess stay with what works.

hookedspur

I went with h13 7s because they shot better than anything (thats readily available) that I have shot in any of my guns.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TrackeySauresRex

I learned a lot here on the OG cite. I made the move over to the Mag Blend when it first came out. I'm still shootin it,because I bought a bunch. I like it for this reason..... The three P's.. Pattern,Pellets,Penetration.  ;D

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 05, 2012, 01:33:18 PM
tinkering with the set up is part of the fun even if its not necessary
:icon_thumright: I'm gonna give them 7's a spin one day.. When the stock is depleted.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

bawana

How come no Federal Heavyweights! :OGturkeyhead:

FANMAN

when I started turkey hunting 20+ years ago I shot lead 5's.When I made the switch to Hevishot I went with 6's...They were awesome so...I'm still shooting em.

westtennhunter

I picked Hevi 6's because in my testing they were better than Magblends and head and shoulders above XR 5's and 6's. No offense to XR fans. I just average 100+ more pellets out of my rig with Hevi 6's vs. XR 6's.

mrlongbeard

I voted handloads. I have tried every turkey load to come out since 1982. Nothing comes close to handloading your own , pattern wise or performance wise. Plus the satisfaction of harvesting a bird with a load you made yourself.

mossy835

Mag Blend even they are not in the pole, I have shot and killed one turkey with 7's. and the rest with Mag blends and they are my choice to hunt with. They pattern well for me and kill every-time so far!. :OGani:

GOLD HUNTER

C J Stahly

I voted H13-6s.  I actually have better patterns (so far) with Mag Blends, but 6s thus far have been a close second.  I have a couple more combo's to try.  If Blends and 6s pattern the same I will shoot 6s.  The reason for this is they are cheaper and the recoil is much more mild. 

FttFttVroom!

So far, out of MY gun......XRHD 6's give me the best numbers and even patterns.

I've yet to test only the straight 6 and 7's from Hevi in the 3.5"

Hevi 3-2-6 were a close second to the 3.5-2-6 XRHD's

Magblends were only 6 pellets more in the ten than my XRHD's, but with 1/4 oz more shot and
all that recoil, I need more improvement to make that switch!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: hookedspur on March 05, 2012, 05:10:46 PM
I went with h13 7s because they shot better than anything (thats readily available) that I have shot in any of my guns.

Need I say more. 

grousec

I voted for Hevi 13 #7's but for hunting I have actually been using Magnum Blend, but that wasn't on the voting list.  I like the three shot sizes combined and the results of shooting them.  Dead turkey! 

tomanyturkeycalls

I shoot H13 3.5 in 7's because at close range it throws a very dense pattern and I have killed out to 43 yards .. so no problem with me for the 7.s   ... I shoot a sbe  2 and can't get the magblends to pattern worth a darn out of many different chokes..

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: tomanyturkeycalls on March 06, 2012, 11:12:15 AM
I shoot H13 3.5 in 7's because at close range it throws a very dense pattern and I have killed out to 43 yards .. so no problem with me for the 7.s   ... I shoot a sbe  2 and can't get the magblends to pattern worth a darn out of many different chokes..

Say it isn't so.   :lol:

Looks like the 7's are going to be the hands-down winner.   :drool: