North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who doesn't love a poll?

Started by bowhunter2k9, March 05, 2012, 12:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Before answering immediately because you shoot one of the options, read my message) Whatcha shoot and why?

Winchester XR #5's
Winchester XR #6's
Hevi13 #6's
Hevi13 #5's
Hevi13 #7's
Handloads
LEAD!!!
any #4's

bowhunter2k9

I don't want any outbreak of arguing on what's better and why (because of velocity, penetration, or consistency, etc).

Everyone's gun is different.

I just wanna know the reason you went with brand, shot size, and length shell.  

Think to yourself about if you've shot different shot sizes in the same brand before just going with #6's or #7's? Also think of all the testing you've done!  
:thanks:   Guys!

I will start by not casting a vote because I am about to compare XR and H13 #5's to my H13 #6's
Romans 8:38-39

reynolds243

the Hevi 7's have patterened the best in my gun so thats what i shoot. However i am slowing moving over to the Magblend but that was not an option.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: el diablo on March 05, 2012, 12:32:28 PM
I picked handloads because they are the best ammunition I can shoot at a turkey.  
I've always wondered how I would like those. Don't really know anything about them though... what size shot do you prefer?

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 05, 2012, 12:35:46 PM
the Hevi 7's have patterened the best in my gun so thats what i shoot. However i am slowing moving over to the Magblend but that was not an option.
Yes, I realized that right after i posted it, sorry. I have shot them as well and Magblends are not bad... just too tight of a choke for them on my gun i guess
Romans 8:38-39

Mailman

I went with handloads. I can tweek them to pattern the best out of each gun I own.
One Shot One Kill

Gobble!

I voted handloads becuase that is what I will be shooting next year. Most likey TSS #9s. Right now I am shooting H13 #7s and have been doing so for 3 years. I am fully confident they can kill as turkey as far as I need them too.

stinkpickle

Hevi 13 #6's and #7's...because I already bought 'em, they pattern good, and they work.

TauntoHawk

I shot Hevi #7's and magblends last year, I was happy but not 100% satisfied just like I was very pleased with the patterns out of the jellyhead .665 but I plan on giving a sumtoy .660 a go with Hevi #6's this year.

tinkering with the set up is part of the fun even if its not necessary
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ericjames

I say lead because I have plenty of the old pre fc federal 3.5-2.25-6 but if I didnt have them it would be mag blends for my longer shots and 30 and under would be win. 3.5-2-6 suprems

eaglea1

Hevi 13 #6 only because of the reviews found here.

Lunchbox

hevi 13 6s, they just pattern well for me.

Jelly Head King

Lead, because any bird 30 yards and under is floppin. To me success means how close can I call him in, not how far away I can shoot him.

BrowningGuy88

I voted H13 6's because that is what I have went to in my 20 gauge which is my dedicated rig right now. I went to 6's due to more confidence in penetration and the 6's seem to have a more consistent history. Next year I may be running TSS 8' or 9's if I stick with a dedicated 20.

Good poll!

WildTigerTrout

I voted lead. My favorite is #6. I shoot Win Supreme 3.5" HV 2 oz. #6 out of my Benelli SBE with a Kicks .655 GT choke. I also shoot lead out of my Browning BPS 10 ga. and my 20 ga. Benelli Nova. The only HTL loads I have are the original Rem 3.5 Hevi-shot #4 and #6. I use the #4 in my Rem 870 SM. They do throw a fine pattern. I guess I'm old fashioned. I like lead, I don't use blinds or decoys and enjoy calling them in close.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Flyrodder

I don't want to shoot at a turkey past 40 yds with HTL just to be able to  kill a turkey.  To me that's not hunting, just shooting. I picked Hevi13, #7 because I want to swat him and #7's throw a dense pattern through my gun.
Flyrodder

K9Doc

I shoot Hevi 7s at this time.  For 3 reasons:
1.  Great patterns to 50 yards
2.  Ability to kill cleanly to 50 yards
3.  My handloading stuff is not here yet!!! :fud:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.