Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about Winchester Extender Range ?

Started by WiLL B, March 04, 2012, 11:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2much2loud

I am one of those that are going back to the extended range, numbers may not be as high but when you shoot the gobbled is absolutely crushed .... With hevi 13 #7 I have to get up and run out to put my foot on the neck... With extended there is no need

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 04, 2012, 11:26:38 PM
Will,

To be honest, I doubt you will get better numbers with the Xtended Range than what you are currently getting with your Hevi-Shot loads.  Now that's not saying it can't happen, but most guys that used to shoot Win Xtended Range shells and have made the switch to Hevi-Shot especially those that are shooting the 7's aren't looking back or planning to go back to the Xtended Range shells. anytime soon.   

I know I'm not planning on switching back to XR.

CASH

Quote from: bird on March 04, 2012, 11:37:21 PM
I want a shell that hits like a Mack truck and I want a shell that I feel confident that will "consistently" hit like that Mack truck. 

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Gobble!

Quote from: Oconeeguy on March 05, 2012, 08:22:57 AM
why would HV-13 penetrate deeper if it is the same size as the Win XR (#6) and moving slower ?

Sorry my thought behind this was H13 is SUPPOSED to be more dense. I thought that would make up for the FPS difference.

Quote from: bird on March 05, 2012, 08:34:44 AM
Quote from: Oconeeguy on March 05, 2012, 08:22:57 AM
why would HV-13 penetrate deeper if it is the same size as the Win XR (#6) and moving slower ?

It doesn't..... These guys just think it does because they're blinded by numbers which has made it impossible for them to think clearly.  I believe that the H13's perform inconsistently from shell to shell even within the same lot number. Wait until more hunters start experiencing disappointing performance while hunting in the field.  Breaking the skin, noggin or spine of a bird is much more difficult then breaking paper.  Not saying that the H13 #7 can't kill cuz it can but I'm saying that there is some inconsistent performers packed in with the rest of the shells. Kinda like playin Russian Roullette while hunting.

Has anyone noticed the incosistency with the H13 #6 loads? Seems like most was coming from the #7s. I would assume the answer is yes becuase of the wad change unless for some reason only the wad was changed in the #7s.

stinkpickle

Quote from: 2much2loud on March 05, 2012, 09:20:59 AM
I am one of those that are going back to the extended range, numbers may not be as high but when you shoot the gobbled is absolutely crushed .... With hevi 13 #7 I have to get up and run out to put my foot on the neck... With extended there is no need

How far are you shooting those #7's?

Gobble!

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 05, 2012, 01:24:10 PM
Quote from: 2much2loud on March 05, 2012, 09:20:59 AM

:TrainWreck1:

2much2loud

Shot 4 gobblers with them from 25-35 yds put up excellent numbers but just don't trust the penetration. I have also had pellets not penetrate the cardboard at forty yds not trying to start anything just sticking with the winchesters

BIGGUS

I have in the past used the Win's in a #6 but after some testing with the guy that made my choke this year the Hevi's in a #7 pattern much more evenly out of my 11-87. How yhey'll perform on game, I suppose is yet to be seen, but I'm not really concerned that it will not be fine.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Al,

I can assure you I'm not blinded by anything other than what I know for a fact works for me.  You like anyone else on here can use what you want.  It's your choice.  But please don't put down those that choose to use a load that they have 100% confidence in.   I use 7's because I have seen the devastation they cause.  And anyone on here that tries to say that 7's don't cut the mustard on a turkey at 40yds is doing nothing but misleading folks.  I choose pattern density over the heavier 6 shot anyday.  And I also know that 7's will in fact blow plum thru the head and neck of a gobbler at 40yds and then some.  I don't need anymore than that.  I have 100% confidence in the Hevi-13 #7 loads.  I have seen the light.  And again I was one of the biggest skeptics at first.  So please stop putting them down.  No need to convince folks that they won't work.  Let them see it for themself please.  I think that is only fair.  I don't put down your loads or anyone that shoots something that I don't shoot.  Choice is good.   

jfair

Everyone who buys the Hevi's should see for themselves what they will or will not do.  Shoot them at 40 yards and pay attention to everything you see.  Look at the fantastic pattern.  Then look at the penetration.  Look at the size of the all the holes in the paper (some are very small).  Judge for yourself for sure.  When you do get a chance to shoot a bird, look at that penetration also.  Some of us have very differing results.

WiLL B

The main question I have is will the Extended Range Winchesters shoot a denser pattern than the lead Winchesters? I have several chokes that shoot Winchester Supremes very nicely but was hoping the HD's would thicken up the pattern.

Gobble!

Quote from: WiLL B on March 05, 2012, 06:50:37 PM
The main question I have is will the Extended Range Winchesters shoot a denser pattern than the lead Winchesters? I have several chokes that shoot Winchester Supremes very nicely but was hoping the HD's would thicken up the pattern.

Yes

Swamprunner

Quote from: WiLL B on March 05, 2012, 06:50:37 PM

Yes!

WildSpur

Yes they will.  Winchester advertises a 25% increase.  When I was using them in my 1300 that is close to what I experienced.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

RemingtonRules

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 05, 2012, 05:44:34 PM
Al,

I can assure you I'm not blinded by anything other than what I know for a fact works for me.  You like anyone else on here can use what you want.  It's your choice.  But please don't put down those that choose to use a load that they have 100% confidence in.   I use 7's because I have seen the devastation they cause.  And anyone on here that tries to say that 7's don't cut the mustard on a turkey at 40yds is doing nothing but misleading folks.  I choose pattern density over the heavier 6 shot anyday.  And I also know that 7's will in fact blow plum thru the head and neck of a gobbler at 40yds and then some.  I don't need anymore than that.  I have 100% confidence in the Hevi-13 #7 loads.  I have seen the light.  And again I was one of the biggest skeptics at first.  So please stop putting them down.  No need to convince folks that they won't work.  Let them see it for themself please.  I think that is only fair.  I don't put down your loads or anyone that shoots something that I don't shoot.  Choice is good.   

He is not the one on here speaking for others like you are in your post  below. 

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 04, 2012, 11:26:38 PM
Will,

To be honest, I doubt you will get better numbers with the Xtended Range than what you are currently getting with your Hevi-Shot loads.  Now that's not saying it can't happen, but most guys that used to shoot Win Xtended Range shells and have made the switch to Hevi-Shot especially those that are shooting the 7's aren't looking back or planning to go back to the Xtended Range shells. anytime soon.