OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about Winchester Extender Range ?

Started by WiLL B, March 04, 2012, 11:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiLL B

Do they pattern denser or just hit harder than the lead Winchester shells. I used to shoot Win Supreme and the Win Supreme HV shells before I went to Heavy shot. I get better numbers with the Heavy Shot but wonder if I am missing something not testing the Win Extended Range. I just hate to spend 40 dollars to find out.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Will,

To be honest, I doubt you will get better numbers with the Xtended Range than what you are currently getting with your Hevi-Shot loads.  Now that's not saying it can't happen, but most guys that used to shoot Win Xtended Range shells and have made the switch to Hevi-Shot especially those that are shooting the 7's aren't looking back or planning to go back to the Xtended Range shells. anytime soon.   

bird

Wrong Brad..... As you know I am getting 299 in 10 with my 870SM and H13 #7's.  But I dumped the H13 and switched to the Winchester HD's for one main reason. I want a shell that hits like a Mack truck and I want a shell that I feel confident that will "consistently" hit like that Mack truck. Although the H13 may put up bigger numbers it isn't capable of the energy of the Win HD and isn't a "consistant" performer like that as the Win HD's otherwise why would you guys always need to be searching for lot #'s on those H13's.

I'll take fewer pellets in 10 for a Consistant Hard Hitter any day of the week over the H13.

Your blinded by numbers on paper. You guys are Drunk on the H13 Koolaid!!!

bird

ILIKEHEVI-13

Al,

Reread what I said.  

Now that's not saying it can't happen, but most guys that used to shoot Win Xtended Range shells and have made the switch to Hevi-Shot especially those that are shooting the 7's aren't looking back or planning to go back to the Xtended Range shells. anytime soon.  

And yes there will be exceptions. 

surehuntsalot

the XR give me more uniform patterns that the hevi shot,plus it don;t hurt that they hit alot harder
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Quax

I prefer XR to the bronze, red, or green h13. XR hits hard and is consistent

chipper

I shoot Hevi-13 but like Bird have gotten more consistensy out of Winchester XRHD, when my stash of Hevi is shot up I'm going back to Winchester XRHD #6.

Gobble!

When comparing the H13 #6s to the Xtended Range #6s, it seems like MOST get better numbers with the H13 shells. I would think the H13 #6s would also penetrate better. The Winchester shells are supposed to be 135fps fasters but the H13 shells are supposed to be denser.

Oconeeguy

why would HV-13 penetrate deeper if it is the same size as the Win XR (#6) and moving slower ?

bird

Quote from: Oconeeguy on March 05, 2012, 08:22:57 AM
why would HV-13 penetrate deeper if it is the same size as the Win XR (#6) and moving slower ?

It doesn't..... These guys just think it does because they're blinded by numbers which has made it impossible for them to think clearly.  I believe that the H13's perform inconsistently from shell to shell even within the same lot number. Wait until more hunters start experiencing disappointing performance while hunting in the field.  Breaking the skin, noggin or spine of a bird is much more difficult then breaking paper.  Not saying that the H13 #7 can't kill cuz it can but I'm saying that there is some inconsistent performers packed in with the rest of the shells. Kinda like playin Russian Roullette while hunting.

sugarray

Quote from: bird on March 04, 2012, 11:37:21 PM
Wrong Brad..... As you know I am getting 299 in 10 with my 870SM and H13 #7's.  But I dumped the H13 and switched to the Winchester HD's for one main reason. I want a shell that hits like a Mack truck and I want a shell that I feel confident that will "consistently" hit like that Mack truck. Although the H13 may put up bigger numbers it isn't capable of the energy of the Win HD and isn't a "consistant" performer like that as the Win HD's otherwise why would you guys always need to be searching for lot #'s on those H13's.

I'll take fewer pellets in 10 for a Consistant Hard Hitter any day of the week over the H13.

Your blinded by numbers on paper. You guys are Drunk on the H13 Koolaid!!!

bird

My thoughts exactly!!  I have been looking at all these posts about lot numbers and guys freaking out about them.  I just have to laugh.  If it gets to where I don't want to or can't load TSS I'm going to shoot lead.  Then I won't be tempted to get caught up in this lot number stuff.  

longspur

I just sold all my h13 7s. Got sick of lot #s and #of hits in a 10" circle. To answer your question about lead, they will pattern denser. If you FULLY  intend to make SURE your bird is in range before you drop a hammer, save your money and shoot the lead.

savduck

Here is the thing about the numbers game. If you are shooting the 3" 2 oz Hevi 13 6s or 7s it will out patterm the Winchester Extended range #6 numbers wise. If you pick up one of the other two 3" loads that Hevi 13 makes over Winchester you will be very disappointed.

Im a Winchester fan, for the same reasons as listed above.
Georgia Boy

tomanyturkeycalls

I thought about shooting the winchester extended range shells, I think they are a good shell, But I am currently have been shooting h13 3.5 inch 7's for several years.. really haven't had that much of a problem of them changing pattern density, killed my bird last year at 43 yards stone dead and he didn't even flop, say what you want but I think I will shoot them alot longer...

TNBIRD

Bird-- For once I agree with everything you have said!  ;D
I shot Hevi last year and killed several turkeys, but they just don't have the THUMP as the Win ER!!  :z-guntootsmiley:   

They will be jumping off the train soon enough!   :TrainWreck1: