turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need a new decoy.. Which one?

Started by YoungJake, March 04, 2012, 08:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungJake

Well, after my jake decoy got tore up in a barbed wire fence last year, I'm in the market for another deke. Since I don't want my decoy to tear up like the last one, I would like a semi solid one like my hen deke. I think the hen is hs strut which is made by delta decoys. I can collapse the shell to fit in the bag better then just pop it out with its stick when I'm ready. So what position deke and what brand do you guys recommend? I would settle for a good solid body but I'm a big fan of the sweet Sally I have.
:thanks:

Gobble!

How deep do you pockets go?
If u want the best go DSD.
If u want cheap get one from Walmart.
I'm sure more turkeys die over Walmart decoys then any other.

YoungJake

I took a look a dsd, but their just so expensive. I think Walmart is where I bought my hen, but they don't have any jake dekes in that style. The one that tore was second hand, it was basically made out of foam and you could roll it up to make it more compact.

jakebird

That sounds like the old feather flex or a similar knock off. Its funny, ya go back ten years and look at the decoys and they were pretty ugly and primitive by today's standards, yet they accounted for an incredible number of very dead turkeys. I cant back this up, but i heard that years ago, in the south where decoys were illegal, old timers would stick a coca cola can on a stick and kill gobblers regularly, the red looked just enuff like a gobblers head till it was too late. For years, guys killed turkeys with wood or cardboard cut outs, too. The degree of realism in the high end dekes today is impressive, but if the bird id close enuff to see the taxidermy quality glass eyes and count the bars on the real wings, shouldnt he be floppin in the dirt? I just dont think that in reality a $200 decoy will make u more successful than a $20 one, but i know for a fact you will be $180 poorer! Lol Ive been killin turkeys for years over $20 decoys. I prefer to throw my money at better camo, calls, choke, shells, etc.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

BigHooks

I just bought th H S Woody it looks great, it's the hard body they also have a soft body sneeky pete I think.

Footballer

Take a look at Bass Pro's decoys. They are durable, realistic, and inexpensive.