News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Options for mounting a FF3 on SBE2??

Started by kyduck1, March 04, 2012, 02:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01Foreman400

Quote from: kyduck1 on March 05, 2012, 08:24:50 PM
Got it...I can for sure see the difference. 
Is the SKU #410216 from optics planet the right model of 336??
Thanks again for being so helpful

•Burris 410333 Mount - Marlin 336, 444, 1895 pre drilled and tapped
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

01Foreman400

Quote from: st8tman on March 05, 2012, 10:56:54 PM
01Foreman400,
                           Man that is the first close up I have seen of the 336 setup...WOW! Nice and sleek and low to the receiver. I haven't done my gun yet....and I believe your picture has convinced me this is the way to go. What brand of 336 mount do I need and possibly a part number? Thanks again for the info and your time!

410333 Mount - Marlin 336, 444, 1895 pre-drilled and tapped

glennz

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 05, 2012, 03:55:12 PM
No you don't need anything but the 336 mount and the sight.  The extra hole goes in the reciever.  The existing holes on the gun don't line up the the 336 mount.

How much does a gunsmith usually charge to drill and tap a hole? I have a Supernova so would this mount work with it? Thank You for your time!

BurrisOptics

It should work with a Nova just as good as a SBE.  I'm not sure what they are charging to drill and tap these days.  $20 a hole?  That sound right?

01Foreman400

Mine charged $70 to drill and tap 2 holes, mount the Sight and adjust the trigger.

bird

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 06, 2012, 07:39:38 PM
Mine charged $70 to drill and tap 2 holes, mount the Sight and adjust the trigger.

Holy Crap.... My guy only charges $20 so I give him a $5 tip cuz I feel guilty that he does all that work so cheap.  And he's damn good too!  Oh and that also includes bore sighting.

glennz

Can anyone post a pic of the Marlin 336 mount itself or post a link to one. I tried searching it but a few different bases came up and I want to make sure I get the right one. Also when you go to get it drilled what do you say? Should I bring the base with me to the gun smith? Do I have to tell him where on the receiver I want it placed? Thank You

glennz

Can anyone post a pic of the Marlin 336 mount itself or post a link to one. I tried searching it but a few different bases came up and I want to make sure I get the right one. Also when you go to get it drilled what do you say? Should I bring the base with me to the gun smith? Do I have to tell him where on the receiver I want it placed? Thank You

mightyjoeyoung

I was thinking about having the extra hole D n T'd in my SBE II for the 336 FF mount.  I have one for my 835 but just haven't gotten around to picking up another FF sight...yet.  I talked to a local smith and he said the metal of the frame is SUPER HARD and he went through 4 bits getting the job done.  Is it me or does this guy have no clue what he's doing trying to D n T a SBE II??!!   :o
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BurrisOptics

Really?  We drilled one at the factory and didn't have a problem at all.  He should slow down the RPMs, center drill first, use cutting oil.  It's not too difficult. 

01Foreman400

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 12, 2012, 06:33:02 PM
I was thinking about having the extra hole D n T'd in my SBE II for the 336 FF mount.  I have one for my 835 but just haven't gotten around to picking up another FF sight...yet.  I talked to a local smith and he said the metal of the frame is SUPER HARD and he went through 4 bits getting the job done.  Is it me or does this guy have no clue what he's doing trying to D n T a SBE II??!!   :o

Find another smith.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: BurrisOptics on March 13, 2012, 11:11:58 AM
Really?  We drilled one at the factory and didn't have a problem at all.  He should slow down the RPMs, center drill first, use cutting oil.  It's not too difficult. 

That's what I was thinking.  He said something to the effect that it was like trying to drill glass it was so hard.  Really?!  I sold Benellis for almost 10 years and never once heard of that.   Problem is, he is the ONLY gunsmith for quite a long ways in any direction.  Sad to because we used to have quite a few here.  Btw, he used to be a smith for Gander Mtn. at the store I worked at for a while and I remember that store going through 2 or 3 smiths in as many years there.  Now they don't even have a gunsmith on staff.  What's THAT tell you?   ::)
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ghillie

OK...so I'm having some problems...

SBE2 is pre-drilled and tapped...got that

looked at the Weaver 93 base and the thing is like 5inches long...I really don't like the look of it with the FF3...there is just to much base

So I went with the Warne Maxima 2 piece...using only the rear piece for the site.  The problem is that the FF3 bolt that runs underneath the Pic mount won't fit into the groove on the base??  What is the deal??

What small mount do I use for a SBE2 that is already drilled and will also have a groove big enough to fit the FF3???  It shouldn't be this difficult!!

BurrisOptics

Quote from: ghillie on March 14, 2012, 02:32:44 AM
OK...so I'm having some problems...

SBE2 is pre-drilled and tapped...got that

looked at the Weaver 93 base and the thing is like 5inches long...I really don't like the look of it with the FF3...there is just to much base

So I went with the Warne Maxima 2 piece...using only the rear piece for the site.  The problem is that the FF3 bolt that runs underneath the Pic mount won't fit into the groove on the base??  What is the deal??

What small mount do I use for a SBE2 that is already drilled and will also have a groove big enough to fit the FF3???  It shouldn't be this difficult!!

Ghillie, that bolt might not be in the mount quite right.  There should be 2 flat sides to that bolt.  Make sure they are positioned so that it will fit in the weaver cross slot.  If it's not then knock it out of there and reposition it the way it should be.  The bolt is press fit in there but don't worry about that.  You don't really have to press it back in like we do here at the factory.  Just get it in there at best you can and the it will seat itself as you tighten it up.  Tighten it up good but don't go crazy.  While you have it out make sure to measure the width of the bolt (flat side to flat side) and then measure the cross slot in the base.  It should fit but you might as well double check.  Also check the depth of the cross slot in the base as that can have some variations as well.  I've seen a shallow cross slot prevent a FF base from mounting up.

Weaver doesn't have a set cross slot width or depth as far as I know so you will see some bases have wider cross slots than others.  I could be completely wrong here but that's been my experience.  Not knocking Weaver at all either.

Ghillie, let me know what you find out or if you've already tried this.  Please start a new thread about this so people can find this information a bit easier if they run into the same problem.  One way or another we'll get you taken care of. 

BurrisOptics

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 08:08:18 PM
Quote from: BurrisOptics on March 13, 2012, 11:11:58 AM

That's what I was thinking.  He said something to the effect that it was like trying to drill glass it was so hard.  Really?!  I sold Benellis for almost 10 years and never once heard of that.   Problem is, he is the ONLY gunsmith for quite a long ways in any direction.  Sad to because we used to have quite a few here.  Btw, he used to be a smith for Gander Mtn. at the store I worked at for a while and I remember that store going through 2 or 3 smiths in as many years there.  Now they don't even have a gunsmith on staff.  What's THAT tell you?   ::)

Sounds like he's not center drilling it.  Have you thought about trying to find a machinist instead?  As long as you are present while he is doing the work he shouldn't have any problems.  I don't think you can leave your gun with him but I may be wrong.  It's an easy job and it will take him longer to set up the mill than it will to drill and tap the holes.  A 12-pack of beer goes a long way to getting some of those guys to do easy work like this.  Just make sure he doesn't crack it open unitl he's done.  :D