OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Went to scout this morning need some help!

Started by Bustabeak, March 04, 2012, 10:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

My cousin and I went and scouted this morning on some family land in Alabama. This place is covered with turkeys. He has seen a lot during deer season and the folks that own it say they have seen up to 30 at a time. Its a small piece of property about 60 acres.

I included the photo of where we found them roosting this morning.  Scratching every where over the hold property. We only saw 6 this morning. we bumped 2 off roost but I'm hoping that within two weeks they will come on back. They run tractors and plow a good bit on the property in the small fields. Generally if you bump a bird can you expect them to be back eventually?

There is a creek in the back part of the property  but they were roosted in all different locations. Any ideas on how to get set up? just go in way before daylight and quite as possible??

Here is the pic of the property and where they were roosted.

jblackburn

I wouldn't be suprised if they roost in the same area tonight.  I wouldn't worry too much about bumping them one time this early.  Now, you can change their patterns if you bump/disturb them a lot.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

shadetree callers

I agree with Blackburn . Continued disruption when they are roosted will cause them to leave and it looks like they have alot of area to disperse . Killing birds at flydown is hardly ever a sure thing so I wouldn't risk things by getting too close . My approach would be to locate where those birds like to go whenthey hit the ground . MOstturkeys will roost in different rees and sometimes different areas . But they usually have areas that they go to first thing in the morning which can be a little more predicatable . Find a good place to set up in that area and  put yourselves in place well before daylight gets close . If need be , set up a blind so you can be comfortable and just wait patiently . Patience is the turkey hunters best weapon . So don't feel like you have to kill 'em before the sun rises . Sometimes that will happen and you can get an early breakfast . But I enjoy every minute that I am out there and the birds look so nice when that 7:30 am sun starts poking over the ridges and lights them up ! Good luck this spring !
Bob

cahaba

Turkeys will most likely be using those fields at some point. They love plowed fields too. I would be looking for strut zones and feeding corridors and set up accordingly especially if the birds wont gobble.

redleg06

Bumping them once wont push them off the property or booger them too bad, just dont make a habit of it or you may be in trouble on a property that small.

If you want a specific set-up suggestion, you need to go roost them the night before so you know what tree they're in.

If it were me,  since you dont have as much room to work with, I'd focus on where they usually head AFTER fly down. Go scout that now, from a far if possible so you wont affect their routine and will be able to know what they would like to do on a normal day's routine.  That way you will have an idea of where they are likely to go from the tree so you have a good idea of the direction you need to set up in. Also, if they roost in a area you are likely going to bump them or dont particularly like the set up you've been given, then you could decide to just go right to the area you think they will head to after fly down and go from there. 

Getting an idea of the roost area is great and seeing scratchings is great but it's a small piece of the puzzle. Figure out how they are using the area at what time of day

Flyrodder

I agree 100% with everything said so far. Bumping them once won't hurt, see where they go after fly down, listen where the gobblers go for strutting(strut zones), use crow, owl calls to entice shock gobbles, try to get as much info from afar. Listening and using binoculars so they don't feel threatened.
Flyrodder

cahaba

Take into mind what part of the breeding season they are in. The breeding season will make roosted birds tuff. I would focus on late morning,afternoon at that time. Go early and stay late;time permitting.
Early part of the last season the birds here were heavily breeding in my area. One bird I killed I didn't go till 10:30. Killed that bird at 12:30.

TauntoHawk

run trail cams in the fields to see what time they are entering and how long they hang out there.. its always easier to set up in or near fields if the birds are using them regularly
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Flyrodder

I just saw your picture(I'm on a Dial up). I would get in the woods just left of the 90 degree turn in the road. Just left of the red line. You can see both areas of woods where they are roosting from there. They will probably fly down into the fields just to the right of the roosts.  Set down against a tree where you can see both areas and where you can sneak back out so they don't see you. Take your bino's and owl hoot to get them to gobble.
Flyrodder

Flyrodder

My general rule is they start gobbling 30 minutes before sunrise. Owl hoot while they are on the roost. Fly down is appox 15 to 20 minutes later. During hunting season, if one starts gobbling while its still dark, GO to that bird.
Flyrodder

Brent

You'd be able to stand in one spot and hear the whole sixty acres.  Just go and listen a few mornings and see where they're at and which way they're going when they fly down.

jakebird

That property is small enough that you dont need to turn it inside out to scout it. At sixty acres you'll be able to hear the entire piece from one spot. Dont pressure these birds too much. If there's some of the land you dont know very well yet, get some aerial photos. Google earth and mapquest both offer free aerials. Id do your scouting discreetly from a distance. Keep disturbance to a minimum. Birds will tolerate farm machinery more than humans walking under their roosts. Observe their routines and note them on your map. When actually hunting, plan entry and exit routes to avoid spooking birds roosted, or feeding later on. Take care of it, you may just have a new honey hole!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

CSMALLWOOD

Flyrodder

I'll be listening at the bend in the road for them to gobble in the morning. I'll have my 3 friends and their 6 kids with me. :wagon: :welcomeOG:
Just kidding.
Flyrodder

Bustabeak

Quote from: CSMALLWOOD on March 05, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
don't be showing off my honey hole
As you all can see this is the cousin that went with me. Funny thing is...... He thinks he's shooting first! hahahah  :TooFunny:
Quote from: Flyrodder on March 05, 2012, 11:12:37 PM
I'll be listening at the bend in the road for them to gobble in the morning. I'll have my 3 friends and their 6 kids with me. :wagon: :welcomeOG:
Just kidding.
Flyrodder
:TooFunny: Will you bring Chick-fil-a and coffee?????   ;D