OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Styles of Hunting

Started by LongBeard24-7, March 03, 2012, 10:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfernash

With a bow I tend to hunt near roosts in my blind. With my shotgun I run and gun.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: guesswho on March 04, 2012, 12:22:09 PM
No blind or deke for me.  And no run and gun either.   Slow, steady and deliberate is what consumes my day in the turkey woods.
X2.
Anybody seen America lately?

okiegobblers

I personally feel hunting turkeys from a blind is good for first time youth hunts and maybe archery. Other than that there doesn't seem to be much sport in sitting in a blind waiting for Tom to show up and shooting him through a peep hole. Just my opinion.

talltines

Run and Gun for sure.  You miss so much of the experience in a blind.

shuey270

I usually sit and wait then I get bored, move and scare the bird that was on his way in silent!

mikejd

I think after just a few minutes you know what a particular bird is going to need you to do to get him.  If I get the usual every answer is 100 yds farther its off to the races. If he seems to sit tight and seems interested I will wait it out even if he seems to not be coming in he probably will eventually.

Spring_Woods

I wouldn't say I'm one to sit and wait for any period of time unless the situation warrants. Thats the best way I can describe my style. I hunt several different places as most turkey hunters often do and each place is unique. For example, I tend to be less patient when I'm hunting mainly woods with little to no fields. I'm more patient if I'm hunting say a cattle farm with lots of short grassed fields.

Knowing when to move, when to call, when to go home is the ultimate question most turkey hunters seek the answer to. I believed even the best hunters do not know the correct answer 100% of the time.

It's not something you master, but evolve with.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Ty

run and gun is how i was taught and its how i have always hunted

gunnerj

I've hunted many different ways. My favorite way to hunt is the way that puts the gobblers head under my boot!  :newmascot:

mdtkyhntr

Love to Run n Gun, but will do whatever the bird and or terrain dictate to kill him.

gobbler777

Runnin and gunnin is the most fun to me.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Gooserbat

I run and gun howbeit I have slowed down and now I do more of a walk and gun.  I let the hunt come together piece by piece.  I've killed more birds moving with calculation than impulsively.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.