OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker Question

Started by buckfever1613, March 03, 2012, 03:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckfever1613

I am interested in buying 1 or 2 new strikers and needed some help.  I know there are hundreds of varieties of wood and tips for strikers but i was looking for the best type for a beginner to buy but i would like a custom striker without breaking the bank.  Thanks for any help

scoot12

Neal Hermans strikers from Hooks Calls are one piece and very good.  I think they run around $13.  I personally like a two piece striker with a laminated rod and birch or walnut handle.  They seem to run great on a lot of different types of surfaces.  Scoot

joker

I know this won't be much help but here is my take on strikers. It all depends on the call. I have 20 different strikers and 10 different calls. My four best calls are all glass and Cristal and they all like different strikers. One likes a one piece yellowhart, one a one piece monkeywood, one a walnut / acrylic, and one a maple / purplehart.   If you run the calls with the strikers they like they sound awlsome, if you use another striker the sound goes from bad to worse. P.S. The best striker for each call is the one that came with it. I guess the call builders know what they are doing.

bbcustomboxcalls

Quote from: joker on March 03, 2012, 06:08:06 PM
I know this won't be much help but here is my take on strikers. It all depends on the call. I have 20 different strikers and 10 different calls. My four best calls are all glass and Cristal and they all like different strikers. One likes a one piece yellowhart, one a one piece monkeywood, one a walnut / acrylic, and one a maple / purplehart.   If you run the calls with the strikers they like they sound awlsome, if you use another striker the sound goes from bad to worse. P.S. The best striker for each call is the one that came with it. I guess the call builders know what they are doing.

Well said!

Bill

tomanyturkeycalls

I have had plenty of pots that I have changed strikers on and have sounded alot better... sometimes the striker that comes with the call is the best one but not always...

callmakerman

Quote from: tomanyturkeycalls on March 04, 2012, 01:38:34 AM

I have had plenty of pots that I have changed strikers on and have sounded alot better... sometimes the striker that comes with the call is the best one but not always... This is true when buying the calls from most of the sporting goods stores. If you buy from the custom call makers they do every thing they can to match the best striker for you call. With the packaged stuf they don't do that.

tomanyturkeycalls

I know the call maker does the best job he can to find the striker to match up with the custom pot... and they do a fine job but I probably have over fifty strikers and I go through all of them to find some that play good on the call and SOMETIMES they sound better than the one the call  maker sent... and sometimes not.. I know lots of guys that do this ..

joker

Quote from: callmakerman on March 04, 2012, 06:50:28 AM
Quote from: tomanyturkeycalls on March 04, 2012, 01:38:34 AM

I have had plenty of pots that I have changed strikers on and have sounded alot better... sometimes the striker that comes with the call is the best one but not always... This is true when buying the calls from most of the sporting goods stores. If you buy from the custom call makers they do every thing they can to match the best striker for you call. With the packaged stuf they don't do that.

You are right, some of the production calls do sound better with a different striker. all the calls I was talking about were not the packaged stuf from sporting goods stores. I guess that is why I have 20 different strikers, from when i use to get those calls. Not that there arn't good mass produced calls, there are some. But for the most part (and a few dollors more) they can't compete with the calls from call makers.

Cut*N*Run

There are a few woods that should sound good on everything. Padauk for sure. I've had good luck with osage and sycamore too.

Before I started making calls I bought a kingwood striker from Mitch Rivers. That one really does sounds great on everything I've tried it on.

callmakerman

Black Locust,Bocote,Ebony, Snakewood and Osage all will make greart strikers with the ebony and snakewood on the high upper end in price.