turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Glass Call Mainenance

Started by Curtdawg88, March 02, 2012, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtdawg88

What abrasive substance does everyone use to rough up their glass pot calls?  I have that Primos thing, I forget the name of it that has multiple surfaces to use.  What is everyone else's abrasive of choice?
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

cahaba

100 to110 sandpaper or emory cloth.

runngun

I use the primos slick stick diamond cutting surface and finish with fine sand paper.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

cannonball

Lunchbox

Quote from: cahaba on March 02, 2012, 11:28:05 PM
100 to110 sandpaper or emory cloth.

I'm only using 60 grit on mine, should i step it up? This is my first season using a glass call(got it new), so i'm pretty clueless.

runngun

You can work it with 60 but need the finish with a fine or that's how I does it .
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Lunchbox

Quote from: runngun on March 03, 2012, 01:26:10 AM
You can work it with 60 but need the finish with a fine or that's how I does it .

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Turkey Beard

Primos Slick Stick is a great product, has mesh, stone, scouring pad, and chalk all in one tool.  1Up Game Calls has a sanding stone that is an excellent grit for glass calls, does a super job!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Cut*N*Run

I usually start with 110 and then go to a conditioning stone. Sometimes it's only one or the other- depends on what the call likes.

I get rid of all the glass dust. If the striker won't grip the cleaned surface I find a striker that will. Leaving the dust just makes the call start slipping for me.

pappy

Let me let you in on a secret, go get you a diamond knife sharpener like the one on the site here I put inside this post, use the fine grade ...it will condition the glass in no time and save you a lot of rubbing with just common sandpaper.
http://www.knivesplus.com/DMT-Knife-Sharpener-DMT-W7EFC.HTML
Then if you feel the call is too raspy, follow it with some scotch brite....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: runngun on March 02, 2012, 11:39:22 PM
I use the primos slick stick diamond cutting surface and finish with fine sand paper.
+ 1
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Turkey Trot

Sheetrock mesh is a god start and you can use fine paper or scotchbrite behind it.

That's a new tip for me Pappy, I'll try that.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

misfire

I use 150 grit sandpaper. 60 is real aggressive
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

cahaba

I spend alot of time tuning the call. Even the strikers act different and give a different sound according to what grit sandpaper one uses.