OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Post Fly Down Calling

Started by LongBeard24-7, March 01, 2012, 08:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBeard24-7

I know that quiet tree yelps are always a good start to an early morning, but what types of calls should you use after the bird has flown down and how much should you call?

guesswho

Whatever he seems to be comfortable with, and just enough to keep him interested.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MCase

Quote from: guesswho on March 01, 2012, 09:24:21 PM
Whatever he seems to be comfortable with, and just enough to keep him interested.

Well said....

cahaba

X2

Only call as much as necessary. May be a little to none or you may need to turn it on. He will let you know.

twinters

I agree let him dictate when and how you should call,every one is different,what you did yesterday to kill a bird may not work today

redleg06

I know it's not much of a helpful answer but like most of the others have said, every situation and bird can be different. Some will be so fired up that you couldnt run them off if you tried to and some will be a little more tight lipped and may not like to hear a lot of noise thrown their way. 

There's really no hard and fast rule and I generally dont do much calling while their still in the tree. 

The only time I really make a exception to this is if I realize there are hens in a tree that I think are about to lead him away from me at fly down (talking about hens at a distance that he may can hear but not see - if they are in a tree right next to him it wont matter much anyway most of the time cause he can see them obviously and will probably head that way when he pitches down regardless of what you do).  When that happens then I'll toss my name in the hat and try to get him to fly down my direction with a little more urgency than I would otherwise.

Aside from that situation, Ill usually be pretty quiet until his feet hit the ground and then only get loud enough to get him moving my direction and once he's moving my way I'm going to keep it to a minimum unless he needs more coaxing to get moving again. I'll start quiet and mellow with yelps and clucks and build up if I need to.   

jakebird

I recently read a piece by raye eye, where he stated that today, more often than not alot of us dont call enough! With near or record populations most places, we have alot of competition from real hens, way more so than a generation ago. If you play it too coy on a gobbler who flies down and has a bunch of excited hens nearby, youll likely be disappointed. Let each situation dictate your strategy, but i tend to agree with ray, esp earlier in the season. If he has hens bearby i'll give it to him hot and heavy as soon as his feet hit the ground and try to capitalize before the hens get to him.  Obviously nuthin works everytime in turkey huntin, but it works often enuff for me to keep at it.... ;) later in the season or on pressured old birds, i'll probably tone it down a notch.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

LongBeard24-7

Learned alot today at the Dixie Deer Classic Fair in Raleigh, NC today. I heard from a "Proffessional Turkey Hunter" that calling to a gobbler while he's still in the tree is a big mistake because they will strut while in their roost tree and wait for the hen to appear. When she doesn't, this tends to spook the gobbler in the other direction away from the hunter. My opinion is that if I don't get the turkey's attention before the other hens do, he's going to set his mind on where he's going once he flies down off that limb and I won't have a chance at him untill the hens go off to nest. Call before the Gobbler flies down or no?

guesswho

Quote from: LongBeard24-7 on March 03, 2012, 10:42:58 PM
Call before the Gobbler flies down or no?
Negative for me.  I won't call to him until he's on the ground and I find the spot I think I can kill him.  Sometimes that might two hours or more after the sun comes up.   It drives me crazy hunting with someone who converses with him back and forth while he's on the limb. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

cahaba

negative also. I want him on the ground and then I wont call to him right off. I like to take his temp and get a general idea of where he wants to go.

Flyrodder

I tree yelp when the hens are still on the roost just a little then don't call any more until he's on the ground. If the hens are real vocal, I do what they are doing. Some times they will fly down to you and bring the gobbler with them. If you call a lot when he's on the roost by himself, a lot of times the gobbler will stay in the tree and wait for the hen(you) to come over below his tree so he can fly down to her.
Flyrodder

LongBeard24-7

I'd like to thank everyone for all the pointers. I can't wait to apply them all this turkey season and bag Ol' Tom! :drool:

TnTurk

Quote from: guesswho on March 04, 2012, 12:31:31 PM
Quote from: LongBeard24-7 on March 03, 2012, 10:42:58 PM
Call before the Gobbler flies down or no?
Negative for me.  I won't call to him until he's on the ground and I find the spot I think I can kill him.  Sometimes that might two hours or more after the sun comes up.   It drives me crazy hunting with someone who converses with him back and forth while he's on the limb. 
What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

stinkpickle

Quote from: Flyrodder on March 04, 2012, 02:38:46 PM
I tree yelp when the hens are still on the roost just a little then don't call any more until he's on the ground. If the hens are real vocal, I do what they are doing. Some times they will fly down to you and bring the gobbler with them. If you call a lot when he's on the roost by himself, a lot of times the gobbler will stay in the tree and wait for the hen(you) to come over below his tree so he can fly down to her.
Flyrodder

Same here

buck_hunter21

When he is on the roost, I give a soft yelp just so he knows where I am at. Once he responds I do not make another sound until I know he has flown down.
Spill Blood